I: Wintry Songbirds

PREFACE:

This story contains SPOILERS to Inazuma's Archon Quest [Arcs I and II] as well as all stories involved within, like for example Ayaka's Character Quest. The story will also likely contain spoilers for Hangout Quests for certain Inazuman characters - so be warned!

If you haven't played through Inazuma's story yet and don't want to be spoiled, it's better to just click off the story and experience the game first.

-PAGE BREAK-

One would think that after the conclusion of the long and bloody Inazuman civil war and the end of the Vision Hunt Decree, the nation would finally enjoy a period of peace and enter into a new age of prosperity. A small part of her certainly hoped so, despite knowing full well that reality hasn't been so keen to follow one's ideals. Despite making peace with the Electro Archon and the Shogunate, the Traveler's actions in ending the conflict also brought into light a slew of new... complications, ones that many didn't even realize.

Inazuma was already a divided and shattered nation before, but the end of the war only seemed to widen the rift as previously hidden, but steadily building corruption behind the Tri-Commission were slowly revealed. After public demands, the Tenryou Commission, despite being the ever-reaching sword arm of the Shogunate was forced to undergo a massive restructuring - citing their former collusions with the Fatui and other attempts to seize the government control away from the Raiden Shogun as well as the other Commissions to themselves. The process was long and arduous, but even after dozens of debates and arguments, no family has ever succeeded the position left behind the Kujou Clan. This led to many members of the remaining commissions as well as other Inazuman officials to scurry about, fighting over one another for a seat that would guarantee them even greater power and control over Inazuman politics and affairs.

All the while, the plains and isles of Inazuma continued to suffer from the aftershocks after the civil war, even many months after the resolution of the conflict. Shipwrecks still dotted the shores throughout Kannazuka and Yashiori Island, abandoned and left to waste away as a grim reminder of Inazuman blood spilled over the iron will of the Shogun conflicting against the unflinching, almost stubborn resolve of the Sangonomiya Resistance. Even to this day, in spite of the cease fire, military camps still stood tall and ready - with soldiers of either sides ready to spring into action should one party decided that the relative peace they've experienced so far to be too great of a price over their appetite for revenge.

Animosity still lingered throughout the nation. Tension was still as high as ever. The civil war ripped Inazuma apart, caused many friends and families to turn on one and the other - killed and destroyed each side and ruined the lives of many. Physical injuries caused by the swords and spears of foot soldiers may heal over time, but the damage to psyche and relationship between Inazuma's own countrymen was done, and it's been made pretty clear that the wounds to heart couldn't be simply healed by bandages or ointments. Prejudice already formed and settled, anger and hostility remained, and the desire for vengeance - let it be for their own brethren, or outsiders like the Fatui - still haunts the minds of those who were fortunate enough to see war's end.

Destroyed settlements remained battered, broken, or reduced to cinders, and treasure hoarders as well as other manners of bandits and vagrants took advantage of the fragile situation and the absence of true governing power to expand their influence and sights, going into even more raids and pillages that left more either missing or dead. There were even rumors regarding sightings of the agents of Snezhnaya stalked the borders of Narukami Island ever still, despite losing one of their Harbingers in the very same, turbulent nation.

Days turned into weeks, weeks turned into months, and months turned into seasons. Even as the first specks of snow fell and the lands cooled, the deep-seated fire of hatred and animosity still burned ever strong throughout Inazuma. It really didn't have a genius to know that the nation of thunder and lightning was still hurting, even after the war.