IX: As a Jeweler Cherishes Their Gems.

Kamisato Ayato wasn't scared.

In fact, feeling fear was probably the furthest thing imaginable for him. Being the clan lord of the Kamisato, he's come to understand that things tend to go wrong - one way or another, after all. Perhaps it would even be more absurd if everything went perfectly fine with no hiccups whatsoever. That's why the Shuumatsuban existed in the first place, that's why the Yashiro was always thinking at least two or three steps ahead from the compared to their other peers of the Tri-Commission, despite lacking the military might of the Tenryou or the financial power of the Kanjou, at least that's what he'd like to believe.

Alas, he knew that even the Yashiro ultimately wasn't a perfect organization. Even for their extensive intelligence network, the news of someone directly within the commission giving an order to assassinate the Traveler certainly came as a shocker, though not entirely out of left field when he thought about it. He knew that members of the commission also had their own ambitions to rise to the top, leading to some of them abandoning their posts to pursue their own desires by directly joining the Shogunate, perhaps in hopes to take control of the still-absent Tenryou Commission one day.

The Clan head wasn't exactly surprised either when the news came in that the Fatui were aiming for the destruction of his family home and stole their important papers either. It's an error that he didn't foresee, sure. And yes, the fact that there was Fatui presence all the way in Narukami would indicate something terrible was in the making, but he wasn't panicked. Such was the complicated life of being involved in politics in a nation that's known war and only war since it first stood, and the error, while vital - was not critical.

So there he was, sitting in a seiza position, hand deftly signing documents and writing letters addressed to the many staff members and also towards other individuals involved in his plans at astonishing speeds without as much as a hint of concern on his face. The keen-eyed observer might even get the chance to catch the eldest of the Kamisato housing a faint smirk on his face. Ayato was thoroughly enjoying having a wrench thrown into his plans.

It was a challenge that he intended to conquer.

He looked through the open window of the small cottage, witnessing the slow rise of the sun over the eastern horizon. Ayato's smile fell slightly the moment he realized that he'd been awake for the entire night just planning and strategizing, yet despite his sore limbs, the clan head felt as energized as ever. There was much work for him to do, and working behind the desk and within the shadows was something that he could do best.

The noises of snow falling from tree branches and accumulating on the ground garnered his attention. Accompanied with the sounds of the snow outside the cottage depressing, gave an indication that something, or someone shifted the weight of the ground outside, leading the Kamisato clan head to gently place his fingers on the blade situated just beneath the low table.

However, he opted to use his lips before resorting to his arms. "Ryuusei," His smooth and calm voice echoed throughout the empty building and onto the outside world.

"Suisei!"Another voice instantly answered from the other side, to which Ayato let his fingers go from his weapon while his face settled into another smile when he identified the individual behind the noise.

Ayato's eyes landed upon a certain blonde-haired outlander who'd been the clan's most trusted retinue for quite some time. His fair skin was fairly pale while he sounded almost out of breath somewhat, which was not entirely surprising given the distance needed to travel to his secluded location. Parts of his body were covered in snow, an indication that the Mondstadter likely just braved through the harsh nightly snow storms.

"Good morning, young lord," The blonde-haired man bent his head down slightly as a sign of utmost respect to him. "...Great to see well and unharmed, after all the-... you know."