2. spark

Adelaide hated a lot of things in life, but she was pretty sure that the thing that she hated the most was the interviews. When she wanted to be an author growing up, one of the things that she had liked about it so much was the invisibility of it. Like the author would be famous, but would still be able to go outside and do their usual thing without a lot of people recognizing them. But since celebrity culture had changed a lot since she was little, a lot of authors were getting more of the limelight and Adelaide was one of them--unfortunately.

She wished that she wasn't but he publicist made it clear that it would be great for her book. "You have such a publishable face," He had told her. She had almost vomitted when he had said that to her because she knew exactly what he meant by that.

It wasn't exactly the type of compliment you wanted to get by an old greaseball of a man like Larry Whren. She tried her best not to throw up when he started planning her book tour. "I really don't want to be on any TV Shows," She told him. "It's just not good for me,"

She didn't tell him exactly why she wanted that type of attention, because she doubted that he would even care if she tried to explain it to him. "Well, most of the interviews are going to be for podcasts or internet shows anyways. You'll get over your camera shyness sweetheart." He told her. She resisted the urge to ask him to stop calling her sweetheart. She didn't want to get into it. She was too tired right now.

"Okay," She said. The idea of doing an interview made her nauseous.

She had spent three days after this conversation throwing up from the nerves. She couldn't keep anything down and she kept thinking about all of the attention that would be drawn to her after this. She wondered if she should back out of the book deal.

But she just... couldn't.

She was sitting in the office of a producer for some sort of internet show that was some sort of listicle type youtube channel. They told her ten minutes ago that they would be ready for her, but she was still getting her makeup done while people talked to her.

This was her personal hell.

She wondered what she had done to deserve this sort of punishment. She had never made good small talk, but she didn't want to be rude, so she plastered on a smile and lied through her teeth the entire time. She told people that she had a good home life, she said that she was single, she said that she had a good childhood, that she had stayed in one place for her entire life and she tried her best to make all of her problems sound normal. She hoped that when she got to the normal interview, they only questioned her about her book.