Chapter Eight: The School (Part I)

On the third night of lockdown, Kim and Yuzu were awakened by their respective keepers. They were both hungry and tired in a corner of the dungeon, sleeping on each other's shoulders.

"Hey! Are you okay?" Subaru called as he shook Kim's body a bit.

"Petty bitch, I've missed you~" Laito said, crouching in front of Yuzu with a big smile.

They both stretched, weak, and somewhat disoriented.

"Is the punishment over?" Yuzu asked Laito, sleepily rubbing her eyes.

"Food! I need food!" Kim leaped to Subaru's shoulders effusively before realizing who she was dealing with and decided to step back. "Oh... I- I'm sorry..."

The vampire did not reply. He was still affected by what happened the other day. (I wonder if she is still afraid of me ... It would not be strange though.), he thought before meeting his gaze with hers. She seemed embarrassed by her own reaction, but beyond that Subaru couldn't read her. (What is she thinking?), he wondered as Kim looked down at the ground.

"Both of you get ready." a grave voice suddenly interrupted. It was Reiji, who stood idly at the threshold of the cell entrance. "Your punishment for escaping is over but I decided to think ahead and prevent something like this from happening again. You will attend school from now on."

Kim and Yuzu blinked, not understanding a thing he was saying. They looked at each other and then let out a scandalous:

"HUH?!"

*   *   *

The humans ate a hearty feast after being released from the dungeon. After taking a bath, they were forced by Reiji to wear a black school uniform. They both complied with no other option, afraid of being locked up again. Once ready, they got into a luxurious limousine along with the six vampires, who wore the same uniform.

Already on the way, Kim tried to keep Yuzu away from Kanato and made sure none of the lads did anything strange. They were silent most of the time, but just by exchanging a few words with Ayato and Laito, they discovered that they would attend a prestigious evening school along with the vampires, news which terrified Kim.

"Nooooo! I do not want to go to school!" she yelled as she clung to the gate of the institute entrance. "Yuzu told me that you come here and make friends! But I don't remember anything!"

"I said that?" she wondered, watching her from the distance with a tiny drop of sweat on her forehead.

"Shut up! We all have to attend the damn school!" Subaru yelled at Kim, taking her into the institute.

Some students stopped by to watch the scene. But when the albino turned to glare at them, they ran away terrified.

"No, no, no!" Kim held tight to the bars. "No more vampires! I'm scared!"

"We are the only vampires in here! And if you don't lower your voice, you'll give us away!" — Subaru was starting to despair, but he didn't want to make the struggle harder since he could hurt her in the process. "Besides, the faster you study and learn, the faster you may be able to recover your memories."

"I don't want to!" Kim replied, becoming defensive. "What can I do if something goes wrong?!"

"Calm down! I'll be by your side!" Upon saying this, the vampire blushed and released her. (Shit... I got carried away...)

"Eh?" Kim turned around, surprised by what Subaru had just said. "Did you mean it?"

He raised a hand to his face and looked away, visibly embarrassed. Kim watched him blankly: (Why does he act like this all of a sudden?)