Chapter 3

"Dad? Can I go up to the attic? The pendant Kairos gave me before he left is up there," He nods
"Just be careful there's a lot of extra boxes your mom kept up there and don't tell her I let you up there, you know how she is about you and the attic"

I gave him a quick smile and nod; I grab another brownie and dash out of the kitchen before he could catch me.

As I walk up the white wooden steps, I pass the many family photos on the wall.  I pass the first door on the right and enter the second one.

My baby blue walls were the first thing to appear in my sight. I plop my bags on my gray desk. I take my phone out of my cardigan pocket and look at the time on my phone.

Ok, 4:30 I have about two hours to go to the attic before mom comes home and catches me.

I put my phone back in my pocket and walk out to the end of the hallway and stared at the white oak door. I took a deep breath and turned the old gold handle. It slowly creaked open revealing a darkness that seemed to cascade endlessly. I quickly felt the wall for the light switch and flipped it on.

I let out a sigh of relief when the light finally flickered on and showed the short old creaky stairs. I climb them slowly and carefully.

Please don't break, please don't break.

I quickly took the last step up and immediately a smile landed on my face. All of the boxes with my old memories. I walk over to the box I was looking for "Alina's personal treasures". I use an old rag and wipe the dust off of it then open it. I take out the blue and white ballerina jewelry box. The necklace was the only thing in there, the beautiful silver pendant had both of our initials on it. I had a genuine smile on my face and put the necklace back around my neck after the many years. I close the jewelry box and return it to its previous state in the box.

I walked around the attic looking at all of the different boxes and trinkets until a certain one caught my eye.

Orion's Things

My feet unconsciously made me move closer to the box.

I know that name but from where.

It was dustier than all of the other boxes up here. I cleared away some dust and quickly open it. A baby gray blanket was the first thing I saw. I took it out and saw a big photo album. I sit down on an old bean bag chair, opening the album my eyes widened, and my mouth laid agape. My biological father was hugging my mom while she held a baby boy that looked like me. I flip the pages and find more pictures of him and mom or my biological father. Then the pictures were of him and Kairos as they grew into toddlers. I turn to the next page and there it was. A two-year-old Orion holding a newborn me. Hades next to mom as she lays in the hospital bed, all of them smiling. I turned the pages faster. The last picture was of us Orion, Kairos, Liv, and I. We were sitting together at a restaurant smiling from ear to ear. The boys look about 11 and Liv and I are 8.

I remember taking this picture but not Orion. Why can't I remember him?

I close the album and put it back with the blanket. I check the time

30 minutes left. Damn how long did it take me.

I quickly organized everything back and left the attic turning the light off on my way out. I close the door back, dashing into my room to do my homework.

The rest of the night was a blur. As I lay in bed tonight my mind wanders back to Orion and my father. I know asking my mom will be useless, she already keeps enough secrets from me. I know I have to figure this out on my own and I am willing to do whatever it takes.