Twenty

It was a boring day, an incredibly boring and- god forbid- easy day. Nothing was happening, nothing was wrong, nothing was on fire, and Lance was getting anxious.

It was like in hospitals, easy was short-lived, it was the calm before the storm, and Lance was dreading whatever storm was inbound. Zeno shared his nervous energy, constantly looking over his shoulder and jumping at any big sound. He could see how the other agents felt the same way, everyone was paranoid.

"What the hell is wrong with you guys?" Keith asked.

"Something's going to happen," Lance lowered his voice.

"How do you know?" Keith asked, now also looking around for an attack.

"The workload," Zeno answered.

"What about it?"

"It's... it's quiet," Zeno lowered his voice like it was a dreadful secret that no one should overhear.

"Isn't that a good thing?" Naive little Keith asked.

"No, it means the universe is setting up a plan to take us down, if we're lucky the casualties will be minimal," Lance said, throwing dramatics that wasn't entirely for show. Keith rolled his eyes.

"You can't know that," Keith said.

"We're in a peak, but the longer we're in the peak the worse the recession will be. Our only hope is that whatever bad thing happens it'll happen soon," Zeno sighed.

"And that it's isolated to one area," Lance added in. Even without believing their words, Keith could feel the tension that hung in the air like a dead body. It was heavy and thick and it weighed Keith down.

"Even so, what are you going to do today?" Keith asked. The rest of Voltron were all spread about the place, Allura had found people she connected with, Pidge was always on call with her family, Hunk was with the agency's engineers, and Shiro was most likely off with Garnet.

"Keep an eye out, for Garnet or anything that seems off," Lance responded.

"That's it? No tasks or missions or chores?" Keith asked.

"Not until all of this is over. I'm betting on a major intake of migraters," Lance said.

"No, defiantly not, it has to be a natural disaster in one of our reservation camps," Zeno shook his head.

"I heard it was going to be a mild invasion," Brick skipped up to them, seemingly unaware of the tension in the air.

"Invasion? No one can get through our force field," Lance frowned, "That seems unlikely."

Brick shrugged. "That's what the old-timers are talking about, they think something is going to happen and we'll be swarmed with outsiders within the next few days."

"Just keep your head down," Lance advised. They walked to the training gyms, and Keith noticed how no one was there. No one was training, no one was exercising, and the only people around were sharpening their weapons. It looked isolated and unusually quiet.

There was one person exercising. They were off to the corner, punching a punching bag. Their soft grunts rang through the quiet air. Shiro turned to face them when they got close enough.

"Lance, hey," He smiled, but it was a small smile that meant he had something on his mind. Garnet was nowhere to be seen.

"Where's Adam?" Keith asked.

"I don't know, he said he had some work to do and left me here. Everyone's been acting weird," Shiro nervously looked around the room at the silent agents. "Is something going on?"