Chapter 2: The village

Leni woke with Lynn in her arms under a pillow fort they had made the night before. She looked out of an opening to see the store's lights had been turned back on.

"Lynn wake up" Leni said. "I think it's morning."

Lynn woke up and let out a moan. "Ugh, did we really just spend an entire night in a stinking IKEA?"

"Afraid so sis." Leni said. "I think that thing is gone."

"Hopefully, they only attack at what I assume is nighttime." Lynn said. "You know when the lights go off." Leni got out of the fort.

"Well unless we can find an exit, we may have to spend another night here." Leni said. "You just had to play football inside didn't you."

"What was that?" Lynn said.

"Uh, nothing!" Leni shrieked. "I was just saying we need to find an exit or we'll be spending another night here. That's all I said, nothing more than that."

"Yeah sure." Lynn said.

"I can't imagine how worried our parents must be." Leni said. She looked around and found a wooden chair. She picked up the chair and smashed it.

"Whoa Leni!" Lynn said with a smile. "Showing you wrathful side, I like it."

"What no." Leni said. "You wouldn't happen to have anything sharp on you would you?"

Lynn pulled a pocketknife from her pocket.

"Do you always carry this around?" Leni asked.

"You'd be surprised how often that thing has come in handy." Lynn replied.

Leni picked up a broken chair leg and started whittling it.

"Uh, don't you think you might get in trouble for doing this?" Lynn asked.

"There's a monster on the loose. I think if we explain our situation the authorities will understand." Leni said.

"Uh ok. So what are you even doing?" Lynn asked.

"Trying to make some spears so we can defend ourselves, from that monster." Leni explained.

"Wow, that's actually pretty smart." Lynn said. "But wouldn't my knife work just as well."

"I'd rather something we can use at a distance." Leni said. "I do NOT want to get near that thing. You wouldn't happen to have a marker on you, would you?"

"No why?"

"So, we can mark where we've been." Leni said. "So, we can like, find our way back her when the lights go out again."

"Wow," Lynn said in amazement. "That is perhaps the smartest thing I've ever heard you say. Who are you? And what have you done with the real Leni?"

Leni rolled her eyes. "I'm not stupid Lynn. Sometimes I have some trouble comprehending things, and maybe I don't see the world the same way everyone else does. But I'm not stupid."

"Whoa I never said..." Lynn said.

"Come on Lynn," Leni said, changing the subject. "Ikea usually has those store things that sell like meatballs and stuff. I know this isn't like, a normal Ikea, but maybe we can find something to eat.

Or else I might have to resort to cannibalism." Leni joked.

"Psh, if it comes to that, we both know it would be me who's eating you." Lynn joked back.

Leni laughed, but then said. "I don't get it."

Lynn was lucky enough to find a roll of masking tape, which they used to mark their way. Sticking a piece of tape to each piece of furniture as they went.