thirteen

↠↠↠

↠↠↠

"YOU LOOK LIKE YOU'RE AVOIDING SOMEONE."

Malia squinted her eyes at Derek who seemed to avoid every camera, open door, or kid that walked the halls of the high school he currently was in like he was some (horrible) undercover spy that couldn't risk his identity known to someone.

"Am not."

"Are too."

"I'm not getting into this with you." He snapped.

She bit her lip and contemplated whether or not she should dig into this further. This was her first time mostly alone with Derek and she thought of him as...an interesting person to say the least. The man was ominous almost all the time, never revealed anything that wasn't necessary, but was absolutely terrible at lying.

Malia listened to his heart beat momentarily stop every time they walked past an open classroom door that was occupied. She didn't mean to get into his business, nor did she want to, but there was only one reason he could be this shaken up in a high school building.

"She's not here." Malia spoke, breaking the silence as they walked.

Derek abruptly stopped in his tracks and turned to her. "What do you mean by that?"

She sighed. There was one thing that she did know about him, for certain, that he was a stubborn little brat. "She, as in Olivia." The Tate observed how the name caused the man to stiffen only for a slight moment. "Scott told her to stay home and rest because of the almost-being-decapitated incident." she finished.

Malia is the only one who knows about Olivia and Derek's past. The talk consisted of a phone call, cursing, and some "questioning-the-meaning-of-life" stuff.

As far as Malia knew, she was the only one who Olivia told. She felt quite honored.

"The what– wait, I'm not even trying to avoid her."

"One, you're terrible at lying and two: are you dumb?" She cut him off. "I can listen to your heartbeat jump everytime we turn a stupid corner." Malia eyed him as he stood still as stone in his spot while his brows pulled together.

"Why are we wasting time on this? We have a case to investigate." Derek turned around once again and resumed walking, clearly sending the message that he didn't want to talk anymore.

"I'm just saying, you're going to have to talk with her sooner or later and I'm pretty sure I wasn't your first choice for this case. You most likely came here with her in mind to help you, but decided against it."

"If I pay you ten dollars, will you shut up?"

↠↠↠

    The feeling of loneliness never seemed to leave her be for more than a second. It's always creeping up on her to be a constant reminder of the vacant area of her soul that was missing— stolen.