|| O N E ||

B A R C E L O N A
T E S T I N G 1.0

The deafening roar of cars flying across the track. The hint of petrichor in the air, teasing impending rain. Bodies clad in team uniforms rushed past me in the paddocks. Curious eyes switched their passing gaze between me, my companion, and back at me.

I paused momentarily to allow myself to close my eyes and take in a deep breath, appreciating the hustle and bustle of the first pre-season test. The formulas have been such a massive part of growing up and despite my education and career choices taking me what I thought was far away from the circus, its siren call had brought me back into the fold. And you know what, I relished it.

My companion called out to me, and I re-join the world, smiling sweetly at Stefano Domenicali who was chivalrously holding open the doors to the FOG Executive motorhome.

The structure rivalled Red Bull's Energy Station in sheer size but where The Energy Station exuded an energetic casual aura, the FOG Executive motorhome was pure corporate. 3 floors of dark tinted windows with the F1 logo displayed prominently above the imposing doors. White umbrellas on the roof hinted at an outdoor deck for more casual gatherings but the rest of the motorhome resembled a posh high rise office building that could typically be found in any central business district.

The heels on my boots clicked on the marble flooring (how tf did they get marble in here?) as the pair of you make your way towards the large conference room on the second floor.

"Have a seat, cara," Stefano pulls out a chair for me before settling into his own at the head of the table. "Nervous?"

"Excited!" I replied almost too quickly earning a grin from my godfather. A small voice in the back of my head reminded me that I was here for work, but is it really work if you love what you're doing?

The door to the conference room opens, welcoming the familiar faces of team principals and key personnel, alongside the ever-gallant Chase Carey and Ross Brawn, and the constantly stressed Race Director Michael Masi. While the three smiled widely and rushed to greet me, the other men in the room barely spared me a second glance, only perking up curiously at the warm greetings from the head honchos.

Stefano cleared his throat the room fell silent. "Buongiorno, friends, and welcome back to Barcelona! Isn't it exciting to be at yet another pre-season test to welcome another year of elite racing?"

There were murmurs of agreement in the room and looking around the room, I could feel the ripple of excitement just beneath the surface and couldn't help but feel my own excitement rise with the room.

The esteemed CEO continued with his pre-season briefing to upper management, inviting Masi to touch on the upcoming schedule, while also speaking on the FOG's goals and strategies for maximising the brand's returns for the year. Usual corporate stuff – some of the more technical inclined managers stifled yawns through the more business side of the meeting.

"Get on it with Stefano!" Gunther barks from the back of the room, his German accent making him sound more aggressive than he means but seeing as most everyone in the room chuckled in response, everyone was used to Gunther's antics.

"Just one last thing and we're done for another year," Stefano responded, jumping back on his feet to stand behind your chair. "As you may know, Formula One Group are very happy to welcome a new investor into the fray. The Ricci Corporation have invested generously for this upcoming season and as part of their agreement to this venture, we will be welcoming a representative from The Ricci Corporation on our Board to serve as am Executive Director."

He tapped me on my shoulder and steeling my nerves, I stood from my seat and looked to the crowd, nodding my thanks to Stefano. "My name is Alexandra Ricci, and I am so pleased to be here. F1 has been a large part of the Ricci family and an even bigger part of my upbringing so to stand here and represent my family, is literally a dream come true. While I will serve as an executive and I will not hold a particular portfolio or responsibility, my expertise is in projects and events management. I will likely be attending as many races as possible and assisting the Race Director to bridge the gap between the sporting side of Formula 1 and the corporate, business side. I look forward to getting to know each one of you better!"

I looked around the room, making eye contact with each team principal until my gaze met a set of dark eyes. I could feel my mouth go dry as those eyes seem to pierce straight through me; I could see the subtle changes of his gaze flick between my eyes and my lips and all at once, I seem to forget how to breathe. There was confusion in his eyes, then realisation quickly followed by an altogether unfamiliar expression. The searing heat of his gaze seemed to melt me where I stand, melt away everything and everyone around me. I should look away, this isn't appropriate, no, needed to look away but the strength of that gaze and the hungry look in his eyes kept you captivated.

The spell only broke when he stood from his seat, briefly, only to capture your gaze again. "Welcome to the circus Alexandra, Mercedes are pleased that Michael will be getting some assistance." Despite the backhanded remark, his deep accented voice made my knees quiver.

*

Stefano had bid you a hasty goodbye to rush off to his next meeting, mentioning quickly that his assistant will be with me shortly to show me to my new office. Prompted by his departure, the room quickly filtered out with each team principal approaching to extend invitations to visit their garages. Of course, I graciously accepted them all and had just turned my back to gather my belongings when I realised that there was one team principal who hadn't approached me.

And there was that searing heat again. I could almost feel it burn a path up my back, settling itself on the back of my head, the hair on the back of my neck prickle with anticipation. There was a click as the door shut and the only thing that I could hear in the room was my slow deep breaths as I tried to calm my runaway heart.

I cleared my throat. "Aren't you going to invite me to the Mercedes garage too, Toto?" I turned to face him, placing both hands on the conference table to lean forward slightly.

There he was. Tall, broad, dressed immaculately in his white team button down and just slightly too tight pants. He leaned against the door of the conference room with his arms crossed in front of him; paired with his rolled-up sleeves, it almost looked like he was showing off his strong forearms.

"Little Alexi Ricci, all grown up. I remember when you were 5. So shy, hiding behind Antonio when he used to tour the garages. I see you don't need to hold dad's hand anymore to protect you against the loud cars," he grinned at you.

I could feel my lips twitching but I fought back a similar grin, instead rearranging my face into a confident scowl. "No, this time, I think the loud cars should be afraid of me," I teased haughtily, jerking my chin gently at him.

Curiously, his grin faded, replaced by that same expression he held earlier. But this time, there was no mistaking it, his eyes bore the deep fire of lust and yearning. This time, he allowed his eyes to travel along my face, taking in my hazel eyes and delicate nose, following the curls that framed my face down a path to take in the almost deliberately slow rise and fall of my chest as I continued to remind myself to breathe – can he see my heart beating through my chest? His examination continued, tracing patiently along the curve of my hips and a brief look at my hands, urgently gripping the edge of the table, before returning to meet my eyes again.

"I don't think it's the loud cars who should be afraid of you, Bärchen," he said so softly, I almost missed it.