|| E L E V E N ||

M O N T E C A R L O

I've been to Monte Carlo a few times now but never for more than a weekend, and definitely never long enough to do any exploring or sightseeing, but I'd always appreciated the beauty of the city. I especially enjoyed the view of the harbour and now, as I lean against the balcony railings, I could watch as the rising sun illuminated the marina. The sky was clear, and the water glistened, I could see the yachts bobbing gently against the mooring. Even though there was still a chill in the air, the water looked inviting.

The city was just waking up and from my vantage point, I could see people moving in the street, buses and cars zooming around, building up to the morning peak traffic. Soon, the cacophony of people going about their morning commute would float its way up to my perch.

I heard the glass doors of the balcony slide open, and a strong pair of arms encircled my waist, squeezing me tight. He nuzzled the top of my head and planted a kiss on my temple. I melted into the warmth of his embrace and leaned into him, just enjoying his touch.

"Guten morgen, Bärchen," Toto's voice was still heavy with sleep.

"Good morning," I turned in his arms to lean my back against the railing, rising slightly on my toes to kiss him lightly on the lips.

"How long have you been up?"

"Not too long, I couldn't get back to sleep so I thought I'd catch the sunrise."

He nodded and pulled me back into the apartment, settling me on a step stool in the kitchen. After Melbourne, it didn't take too much convincing for me to come to Monaco with him until Imola. I didn't think I'd be ready to return to London and Toto thought the same, though I was likely more reluctant to be away from him.

Toto had moved into this large apartment last Christmas, and it was far too large for just one man. Multiple bedrooms and bathrooms, two living rooms, a small reading room, dining room, a large kitchen. But the best part of the apartment was the floor to ceiling glass doors that lead from the living rooms to the expansive balcony that overlooked the city and the harbour, and most importantly the streets that would transform into familiar tracks. In short, this place was perfect, and I was only slightly disappointed that this was just a rental.

"So, what are your plans for the day, love?" Toto slid a bowl of fruit, yoghurt, and granola towards me.

"I have some work to do, then Charlotte has gotten in touch about lunch and shopping but I'm not sure I'm up for it. What about you?"

"I told Susie I'd spend the morning with Jack, have a few online meetings to get through. Why don't you spend the day with Charlotte? You said you've never had the opportunity to explore Monte Carlo, why not go exploring with her?" Toto was helping himself to his own bowl of yoghurt.

"No," I shook my head, "there's only one person I'd like to explore Monte Carlo with, but I know this isn't the right time."

"I'm sorry."

I could see that the effort to keep our relationship under wraps was starting to affect him, could see the regret in his eyes that he couldn't give me what I wanted.

"I have too much work to be done anyway, it's fine."

"No" the tone of Toto's voice made my head snap up to look at him. He held an intense expression, and his lips were pulled into a tight line. "You spent all of yesterday working, and I know you tossed and turned all night. No more work today."

"But Toto – "

"You are going to eat your breakfast, get on your phone, and tell Charlotte that you will meet her for lunch and some shopping. You can do some work until lunchtime, and when you get home, we will do something special. Is that understood?"