|| F O U R ||

L O N D O N
R I C C I H Q

Even though the family is Italian, and the family home is in the Italian countryside, my father made the decision to set up the headquarters of The Ricci Corporation in London with several satellite locations across the world. Our major clients and largest projects had their head offices close to us, so it was really a matter of convenience.

My office at HQ overlooked the expansive green space of Hyde Park. The rains over winter had really made the whole place looked really lush; I was definitely looking forward to spring, pity I'd be out on the road for most of the year with the traveling circus.

I sat on the edge of my desk, appreciating the view, procrastinating the pile of work that needed to be done. We're only 2 weeks out from Bahrain and I was preparing to hand off a portion of my responsibilities at TRC to take on the work for the season.

Toto and I haven't spoken since Barcelona. By the time I was awake, he was already on a plane back to Monaco. I'd had his jacket cleaned and couriered to Brackley, fended off the boy's questions about my disappearance, and got on my own plane back here. I did keep in touch with a few of the boys but again, with our busy schedules, we haven't really had the time to catch up again.

My intercom rang and the voice of the receptionist came on – "Ms Ricci, there is a Mr Wolff here to see you."

I whirled around and stared at my intercom, unsure what to say. Or do. What is he doing here?

"Ms Ricci?" she prompted and I jumped to hit the call button.

"Uhm, hi Janet. Thanks, send him through."

I stared at the intercom again for a second and shook my head. I pulled my chair out from the desk to sit down but quickly stood again. Should I be at the desk? Should I sit on my couch? Stand at my desk?

FFS Alex, get your shit together.

I took a deep breath and settled for standing behind my chair just as I spied Janet and Toto turn the corner and walk down the hall towards my office. I had rearranged my face into a neutral smile and nodded at Janet to shut the door behind her.

The room was silent as we just stared at each other, both either too afraid, or too awkward to speak. What do we even have to say to each other? There was so many things left unspoken between us, where do we even start?

"Hi – ", we both started at the same time.

"You go," he smiled, that damn smile.

I gestured at the seat on the other side of my desk and sat down in my own.

"Hi Toto, I wasn't expecting you." I greeted, trying to stay polite.

"I was in the area and thought I would swing by, say hello."

"Well, that's very sweet, I appreciate it."

There was silence again. We just stared.

"Alright, we're adults. Let's get shit out of the way." I sighed and pinched the bridge of my nose. He nodded and waited.

"Thank you for helping me that night in Barcelona, thank you for... for getting me away. T-thank you for your jacket..." I could feel my voice shake and my lips quiver. I could feel the tears just forming, waiting for their cue.

Then he did something I wasn't expecting at all, he reached over the desk and took my hand, smoothing his thumb over my knuckles. "There's something about you," he muttered, keeping his eyes on my hand, "that makes me want to protect you."