|| T E N ||

M E L B O U R N E
F R I D A Y

I'd barely taken 2 steps into the Ferrari garage when I was attacked. Two guys dressed in red had absolutely run towards me to capture me in a group hug so tight, I had to tickle one to escape.

"Where the hell have you been, young lady??" Carlos asked, "you've ignored all the group messages."

"Is there a boy involved??" Charles waggled his eyebrows suggestively.

If only they knew.

After breakfast that morning, Lewis and Toto had packed me up and dragged me along to Brackley with them, where they'd snuck me into Toto's room at their regular hotel. I'd usually mind being snuck around after dark with a hoodie pulled low over my face but given the circumstances and my state of mind at the time, it wasn't so bad.

As the men spent the day at Mercedes HQ, I spent most days asleep. Toto, the bastard, had confiscated my laptop so I couldn't even get any work done. As expected, I did start to feel better after a few days, but Toto's comforting presence had helped ease it all. He had been nothing but a gentleman, keeping his distance when I needed it but providing his reassuring touch when I found myself overwhelmed by guilt and pain. Most of my bruises and scratches have faded by now but the mental bruises, I suspect, will remain for a while yet.

I punched Charles in the shoulder, "don't be cheeky. I'm sorry guys, I've just been so busy. It's all good now, my work at TRC has eased a little so I'll have a bit more time and energy to hang out."

"Good, because we're going for dinner tonight. Join?"

"Sure, why not." I happened to look over Charles' shoulder and spotted two beautiful girls looking curiously at us. "Are you going to introduce us?"

"Oh, right!" Carlos turned around and waved the two girls over. "This is my girlfriend, Isa." The blonde offered her hand, which I took gladly.

"And this is my girlfriend, Charlotte." Charles introduced.

I shook her hand as well and smiled at both girls. "I'm so glad to meet you both, I'm Alexandra."

"It's so nice to see another girl here! We're headed up to the paddock club while they do their post-practice interviews, do you want to join us?" Charlotte offered. I looked around and saw that Mattias was gesturing to get the boys' attention.

"Sure!"

We settled on a few barstools overlooking the track and drinks were placed before us – glasses of champagne for the girls, a coffee for me.

"So, Charles has told me a little about you! I love that we've got more women in leadership in this sport," said Charlotte, after a quick sip of her drink.

"Mm, it's been interesting so far. Although, trying to carve out my space has been challenging." I agreed.

"I heard about you slapping Toto," she giggled, "power move."

I blushed and shrugged, "A girl's got to do what a girl's got to do!"

We made small talk and I ended up with coffee up my nose more often than I cared to admit. Like the boys, I instantly felt at home with these girls and the conversation went from travel plans to trackside gossip.

"That Nikita, he's cute but what an arsehole..."

"Have you seen Daniel today? He looks so sad, not the cheerful honey badger we're familiar with..."

Oops.

I hadn't spoken to Daniel since he came to my room that morning, so I had a sinking suspicion that I was the reason he wasn't as cheerful as usual.