梅子 (Plum): 七

As it was written in the Records of Fate, Ruomei was reborn as a poor girl named Meiying, in the land of a powerful emperor. The emperor had conquered many kingdoms in his youth, but now focused on maintaining his empire, as he prepared to pass the crown to his only daughter.

As it was peacetime, the palace was a secure place, and Meiying applied to work there as a maidservant as soon as she was old enough. It was a step up to escape her life of poverty, and she flourished in her new position. News of her proficiency soon spread, and she was quickly promoted to serve the princess, Xuejun.

Xuejun was renowned for both her beauty and lavishness. Whatever the princess desired, her father gave to her, regardless of the cost. As a result of her good looks, she had received countless offers of marriage by her twenty-fifth year, and as a result of her frivolity, the empire suffered. No food was too exotic, no silk too expensive, as to not be bought with the hard labor and exorbitant taxing of the country's citizens.

To make matters worse, the land had suffered a bout of unusually cold weather in all seasons for around a quarter of a century, and the farmers in the villages could scarcely remember a time when their crops grew quickly and to full maturity. The people were hungry, and only those living and working in the palace were spared the cruel reality of the nobility's greed.

Of course, like in all events of unchecked cruelty and oppression, there was a resistance growing, led by a young man named Dongsheng in the east of the empire. Together with a band of trained villagers and defected soldiers, Dongsheng would lead his men, known as the Friends of Winter, on raids of storerooms and noblemen's estates, taking whatever food and valuables they could to give back to the ordinary citizens in the villages.

The Friends of Winter were an unbearable thorn in the emperor's side, and whenever news broke of a new raid or theft, the echoes of his anger would trickle down through the ranks of the palace, leaving for a very unpleasant atmosphere for days or weeks at a time.

"Xuejun's coming," Fenfang, another maidservant, warned Meiying in passing one day. "Emperor Chenglei's gotten wind of another raid, and passed his dark mood on to the princess."

Meiying let out a sigh through her nose. "We'll endure it, somehow."

The princess burst through the doors at the other end of the hall a moment later, the rich silk of her silver hanfu billowing behind her in a stormy cloud.

"Meiying!" the princess yelled, scattering servants in her wake.

Meiying stepped forward and bowed. In situations like these, it was wise not to say anything.

"I want my slippers – the ones with the little diamonds in them – you know what I mean," Xuejun ordered. "Bring them to my room at once. And I also want my warmest robe – and a bath drawn, with two baskets of rose petals steeped in the water. And someone get me sweets!"

She stormed off down the hall, and Meiying only raised her head once the door had slammed shut.

"Well," Meiying said, turning back to Fenfang. "It seems as though we're in for a pleasant afternoon."

"I'm so curious what happened," Fenfang said. "This is one of her worst tantrums yet to come from the raids."

"I'll see what I can find out," Meiying promised her.

Her chance didn't come until much later. It was only after the slippers had been fetched, the sweets served, and the princess pampered that Xuejun even began to voice her complaints, and finally broke from her long sulk.

"It's not fair," Xuejun whined, as Meiying brushed out the princess's damp hair after her bath. "Those vandals think they can just take anything." She huffed and pulled her robe tighter around her body. "And they keep getting closer to the palace! Who do they think they are?"

"You don't need to mind them, your highness," Meiying replied gently, not really believing the words.

Apparently, the princess didn't either, and slammed her hands on the table in front of her, causing Meiying to jump.

"Of course I do!" she snapped. "They're not just sticking to the outskirts of the country anymore – their last raid was only a few hours' carriage ride from here! What's their next target – the palace itself?"

Meiying kept silent, unsure of what to say that would placate the angry woman.

"It's all my father's fault, of course," Xuejun continued, settling back in her chair, but her neck was tense as Meiying continued to brush her hair. "If he would just die already and give me the crown, I'd be able to take care of them! I need to be in power, Meiying. If I were in charge, I'd make them rue the day they ever decided to become thieves. But my father's grown soft, and just lets them continue without punishment."

Meiying declined to point out that the emperor hadn't been able to punish the group, not because he didn't want to, but because none of the empire's spies had been able to find them, and that unless something changed, the princess would probably have the same troubles when she took the throne.

"No," Xuejun added, playing with a strand of her hair. "Instead, he's trying to marry me off so a man can rule with me. I'll tell you – I'm not sharing the throne with anyone. A husband will just take all the power for himself, and leave me with nothing. But I'm the daughter of the emperor, not some nobody husband! If anyone has the right to rule, it's me."

Meiying had to agree with that, and quietly said as much. "Has he arranged for you to meet with another suitor?" she asked.

Xuejun nodded. "Tomorrow – it's such a waste of time. I have to take the carriage and I'll be out all day traveling. But my answer will always be the same: no."

Meiying set aside the brush and began braiding the princess's hair. No wonder Xuejun was in such a bad mood – she had both raids and proposals to worry about.

"You know, I've just had an idea," Xuejun said, slowly turning, and the sly smile on the princess's face made Meiying uneasy. "None of the suitors know what I look like. I should send you instead."

Meiying's eyes widened. "I couldn't possibly – "

"No, I've quite made up my mind," Xuejun interrupted with a wave of her hand, turning back around for Meiying to finish the braid. "You'll dress as me and take my carriage tomorrow. Be as rude as you want – I don't care. Just be sure to decline the proposal, and be back here in time to draw my evening bath. I've much better things to do."

Meiying's mouth opened to protest, but her fear of the princess's temper kept her from voicing any more protests. She had already tried saying no once, and she knew what it was like to receive Xuejun's wrath.

It would be for just one day, she reminded herself.