竹子 (Bamboo): 五 Part 2

While the matter about the children was being attended to, Ruomei made occasional trips to the Heavenly Realm, to search the library adjacent to the hall where the Records of Fate were kept. The fruit-seller's daughter was still ill, and Ruomei examined every book she could find about herbal remedies or other methods to treat the girl's symptoms, to then try to follow the steps outlined when she returned to the Mortal Realm.

"You've been spending a lot of time on this," Zhulin commented one day in regards to Ruomei's improvised medical studies. She had spent hours poring over books in the library, and now back in the Mortal Realm – already four days later there – she had set off immediately into the nearby forest to search for the specific herbs that had been mentioned.

"I've got to try something," Ruomei defended, not looking back as Zhulin followed her through the undergrowth. She crouched down to examine a mushroom, then finding it not of the required variety, stood up and moved on. "If the fruit-seller can't afford the doctor, the next-best thing is to teach ourselves about the remedies that can cure his daughter."

"And what if she can't be cured?" his voice was hesitant but firm. Ruomei paused, a hand in the air as she held back a branch. She had half a mind to let it fall back and hit him in the face for even suggesting such a thing.

With great restraint, she slowly lowered the tree limb instead, and turned back to face the Demon lord. Zhulin's gaze flickered to the branch for a moment, but he didn't say anything.

"Why would you think she can't be cured?" Ruomei asked him.

"I'm just reminding you that there are things that are out of even our control," he said gently. He inclined his head – a passive gesture, but the truth of his words was a challenge.

"Easy for you to say, when you haven't even tried to help solve the problem yourself," Ruomei snapped, her worries for the girl's safety causing her to lash out. "You keep disappearing off to the Demon Realm, and not to research cures, I think."

"That's an entirely different matter," Zhulin said with a frown. "What I'm trying to say is that if the girl's death is written in the Records of Fate, there's nothing we can do."

"Except choose how to react?" Ruomei shot back, echoing the words he had told her weeks earlier. "That's ridiculous. Where's her choice in all this? Her death may be a hardship that others have to learn to deal with, but for her it's the end. She doesn't get a chance."

"She can choose to accept her fate," Zhulin said quietly. "And her spirit will be reborn again, in a different life."

"But not this one!" Ruomei protested. "What's so wrong about her staying in the life she has already?"

Zhulin shook his head. "If it's written, then there's no helping it. She's been sick for weeks now, and while you were away, her condition has only worsened."

Ruomei turned on her heel with a huff and stomped further into the forest. "You're just guessing at things to upset me," she announced, trying to ignore the fact that he was still following her. "I can't give up yet. Not while there's still hope."

She came to a stop in front of a tree, her gaze unfocused as she tried to control her breathing. Zhulin came to a stop beside her, and she could feel his gaze on her, studying her.

"What?" she snapped, wiping her eyes with a quick swipe of her hand.

"Tell me what herbs you're looking for," he said quietly. "I'll help you look for them."

"Elderflowers," Ruomei said with a sniff, trying to regain her composure. "Or catnip – or yarrow. Catnip might be the best for her condition, but any of those will do."