Chapter 44

Uncanny's POV

"Uncanny, can we talk?" mom began.

"Mother! No, there is nothing to be discussed," I tried avoiding a particular topic. She glared at me with so much worry, I sighed. Mom sat on the bed. Michael was with my sister and dad. Perhaps it was the reason she wanted to talk. I put down my hairbrush and sat next to her, she was a morning person, and I wasn't. We fought about it when I was younger. Only work was the reason I adapted to being an early bird.

She placed her hand on top of mine and immediately felt weird, shivers running down my back. "Sweetheart, you know I care about you and your wellbeing. I will always support anything that you do, but aren't you being too selfish with this?"

I pulled my hand back towards my body, "Mother, this is why I never came back home. I'm just trying to protect her."

"Protect her?" her voice rose. Mother sounded like an older version of younger Ariana Grande when she was starring as Cat Valentine in Nickelodeon. "Bonang, how the hell is you protecting her!?"

I glared daggers at her, "Mother, please! Do not judge me,"

"I am not judging you, Uncanny. I am trying to help you. That girl-"

"GRANMA!" Kamilah called out as she opened my bedroom door. Mother's anger dissipated the moment Kamilah walked in. Her hair cascaded down her back. She was in a summer dress. I felt annoyed but grateful that she disturbed us. My mother gave her a warm hug, making me gag.

For a moment, awkward silence befell us. My eyes darted from Kamilah to my mother. A tinge of jealousy sparked inside of me because of the way they held each other. I felt terrible that I was never affectionate towards Kamilah. I could never do it. Staring at her brought resentment to my inner being. My skin crawled.

"Uncanny!" mother called me out. She must have noticed the disfigurement forming on my face because of Kamilah's presence. I suffered a lot for her and because of her. "Kamilah, do you mind heading downstairs to your father? I would like to have a word with your mother."

Kamilah gave me a disgusted look, "She does not deserve that title."

Mother sighed and kissed her forehead. Kamilah smiled and finally left us alone.

"She hates me, can't you see?" I pointed out to the closed-door she walked out.

"What about you?"

I thought about her question for a moment or two, "She took something from me I can never get back; it ruined me."

"Sweetheart, the past is the past. I understand that you buried it. That girl is a living-breathing proof of that past. The darker part of it for that fact." I realized that I had been crying when mom wiped the tears away with her gentle hand.

"Not just her, mom," I sobbed in her arms. She made me feel safe and protected, but I knew deep down that I would not be safe forever. My past always found its way back to me, no matter how far I ran. We embraced for God who knows how long till I got an unknown call. I excused myself, deciding to take the call outside the house. "Hello?"

"Running away from me?"

I did not need to know rocket science to know who was on the other line. His voice made my insides burn, in ways more than one.

"Bonnie, I will find you. You are mine. You will forever be mine! If it means taking out the garbage for you to realize it, I will do it!"

I began to panic, "Why are you so obsessed with me?". I couldn't help the gut feeling that made my heart drop. It felt like Javan was watching me. Anything was possible with Javan.

Javan chuckled menacingly, "Really? Should I remind you that? That you are m-"

"OKAY! I get it. Just leave me alone," I sighed.

"You don't mean that. You're just waiting on your prince to come to get you and don't worry, I will." He hung up. Dread washed over me. I roughly raked my hair back in frustration. No! No! NO!

"He can't torture me like this," I groaned.

"Who's torturing you?" I turned around to be greeted by Kamilah. Great. I rolled my eyes, walking away from her.

She snorted, "I heard it all."

I spun around on my heels. I swear to God, I didn't mean for what happened next. When I realized what I had done, my hands covered my mouth, wide-eyed. I could feel the adrenaline still coursing through my veins. Momentarily, everyone happened to walk right out at the scene. Kamilah's dewy eyes were the only indication and proof of my lack of maternal instincts.

" I hate you! Burn in hell, you despicable woman! I wish you were not my mother!" she cried, running towards her room. I remained outside with the adults, still trying to depict what had happened.

"Uncanny..." my father's disappointed voice rang in my ears. I could not even face him.

I turned towards Michael, and neither did he want to condone my actions. Who could blame him? I had never done it before. He gave me a disapproving look before he went back inside the house with Amandla tailing behind him. Dad did the same as well; only mom remained behind. I dragged my feet as I headed to sit at the patio mom followed suit.

Covering my face, I heaved a sigh, "Why didn't you leave like everyone else?" I hoarsely asked.

"I am your mother. I must have your back and my responsibility to correct you when you are wrong," she responded, void of any emotions. At that moment, she made me rethink all the decisions I ever made with none as a parent. Guilt became a new norm in my vocabulary. Her presence gave me profound insight. I wanted to be a mother to my daughter the same way my mother was. Mother changed her sitting position so that we sat back to back, hands on either side of us. Our fingertips were almost touching.

"Yes, maybe not today or tomorrow. But someday soon, we will be okay. Kamilah and I, that is," I thought out loud.