A stroll through the town • Damon Salvatore

"Wait for me, brother, I want to join you."

"Well, come on then, Y/N." Damon holds out his arm invitingly and I take it as we walk down the porch steps and make our way down the walkway of our family estate.

It has been too long since I have spent some quality sibling time with my older brother. Ever since Miss Pierce arrived a few weeks ago, both of my brothers rarely have the desire to find time for themselves.

Miss Pierce had taken the attention of the people in the house in mere days, everyone being smitten with her at once. I cannot put blame on her, for it is quite easy to be taken with the young woman.
My brothers bare proof of this.
I myself have nothing against her but I do want some time with my brothers as well.

Damon and I walk through the town as we visit some of the shops, greeting the people we know.

"How have you been, brother? I have barely been able to catch you these past few days." I start up a conversation, interrupting the comfortable quiet. "I have been well, sister." I see him smile absentmindedly making a small smile appear on my face as well.

"Miss Pierce, she is quite beautiful, isn't she?" He looks at me dumbfounded, "why, so suddenly?" As he focuses on my features a sneaky smirk makes its way onto his lips. "Is that jealousy I hear, sister?"

My mouth falls open slightly at the accusation but I gather myself rather quickly. "I was simply stating a fact. She is pretty. And no, I am not jealous," I defend myself.

We smile at each other after the short banter and fall into a comfortable silence once more.

Him and I have always been inseparable. When I was five years old Stefan was born. I was excited, just as Damon was, for having a younger brother. But after years as a trio my connection to Damon is still the stronger one.
We enjoy each other's company without need for conversation. If it is reading in the lounge or walking through the town together, we can find comfort and understanding in each other's silence.

"Father said you'll be going to join the men fighting at the front," I suddenly speak out what has been bothering me for days now. "Is it true?" I stop walking, making him halt as well, and look up at him, focusing on his piercing, light blue eyes.

"Oh, Y/N," he takes both of my hands in his in a comforting manner, keeping eye contact. "It will be fine. As I promised, I will always come back to you," he smiles reassuringly. "Besides," he starts while turning to continue our stroll through the town, "I have not yet decided if I even want to go."

I look at him confused, "father said it is not your choice to make." "Well, father will just have to live with the fact that he cannot control my every move." Damon smiles once more, reassuring me as we continue to walk.

Published: December 17th, 2021