Chapter 5

Its Saturday and all last week I still had to stay home from school since Cavin couldn't go to daycare. Luckily I have Ronnie who brought me my homework. Now you might think why don't you let your mom watch him and you go to school. Well I refuse to not take care of my kid. Now yes I let her babysit when I want to go out with the boys every once and awhile, or like today when I have a date with Ronnie.

I went up to his room when he woke up this morning hoping he felt better and would stay with my mom and not cling to me or Ronnie. Yes you heard me he clung to Ronnie like he does to me and let me tell you those Sandlot boys he's known since the day he was born were really jealous. When they saw him refuse to go to ham and instead wanted Ronnie. I could have swore I told them I shot him by the look on their faces.
"Hey bubba how do you feel?" I ask the toddler as I pick up the boy from his crib. "Good dada can we go play baseball today?" He asked me as I laid him on the changing table. "You feel that good we'll let's check your temp and maybe I'll let you go play baseball with uncle Ham and Uncle Smalls," I tell him putting on his nike socks. Grabbing the thermometer putting it to his head

 Grabbing the thermometer putting it to his head

"You no go?" He asked me as I put on his shoes.

"No baby me and Ronnie are going out for the day you were going to stay with grandma, but if you want you can stay with grandma or go play some ball with Uncle Ham," I told him

"No baby me and Ronnie are going out for the day you were going to stay with grandma, but if you want you can stay with grandma or go play some ball with Uncle Ham," I told him. I take a look at the thermometer and see it's back to being 98.6. "No fever looks like you do feel a lot better," I told him setting him down packing a bag for him.

"I wanna go play ball dada," he told me running around the room

"I wanna go play ball dada," he told me running around the room. I knew that he's my son I shouldn't be surprised. "Ok bubba let's go call your Uncle Ham," I said grabbing the bag and his blanket out of his crib. "Ok little man let go down stairs," grabbing his hand walking out the door.

Ronnie walked in just as I was handing my life or I guess Cavin over to Ham. "And Ham I swear to god if he falls and hurts his arm more than it already is I will kill you. It's already broken now can I trust you with my reason to live?" I ask him as Ronnie walks over and hugs me I wrap my arms around her waist pulling her in knowing that makes her blush. We have gotten pretty close the past couple weeks we've been hanging out, and we act like a couple already. "Yes Benny man I promise with my life I'll keep him safe I'll come back for lunch and his nap then we'll head back till dinner just like you always do on the weekend and during the summer I know how he works ok." "Ok my mom will be here so if he wants something specific she will help. Now his blankie is not to leave the house and go to the sandlot he will try to get you to let him but he's not aloud. And he has a water bottle and now that he's not sick he's not aloud to have a bottle during the day. Passie is aloud at any time and he has diapers wipes and a change of clothes as well as his lovey he can have that outside. Remember no time out for him we don't do that." "Yea Benny man I know," he told me. "Now if you excuse me I'm going to take this pretty girl out to the fair," I say walking out to my truck making Veronica blush. God I love it when she blushes. We get in and I grab her hand to try to calm me down. "What's wrong handsome?"She asked me squeezing my hand and doing that thumb thing where you rub it across the back of my hand. "I've never left him with anyone but my mom for longer then an hour but my mom she lives with him so it's like leaving him with his other parent," I say. "I hope you don't find this weird but why isn't his mom apart of his life?" "That's not a weird question. Well about 6 months ago she up and left. She said she wasn't fit to be a mom so I went to court to make sure I got full custody of him and she couldn't just come back in our lives one day and take my baby away. He always favored me so I think she was mad he didn't want her all the time like he wanted me. So that's why. It really hurt my boy and he still sometimes asked why his mommy left but I tell him she loved him a lot but wasn't ready to be responsible. He tries to understand but that's why I think he likes you." "What do you mean?" "Your more caring toward him then she was. If he cries you try to figure out why and you don't get mad. But she would tell him to stop and just give him to me or put him in time out. That's why I really try not put him in time out that's why we do the sit on the couch with us thing but it works." "Awww the poor baby she's his mom. No wonder he gets scared when I pick him up when he cries the poor boy." I smile at her as we pull in to the fair. "Ready for the best time of your life?" I ask her. "Hell yea," she says leaning over to kiss my cheek. Oh how I wished she would kiss my lips but hopefully that will change today. We got out of the truck and I grabbed her hand walking her in and over to the booth to get our tickets. I pay for the tickets and we walk in. "Ok pretty girl what first?" I ask her. "That one," she says to me pointing to a spiny ride. This is going to be fun I hate spinning.