13: A brother's lament

The streets of Liberio were familiar, but the angle they were shown in was not. Such a small child could only look up to gaze upward at the intensity of the world. Around were only legs belonging to many Eldians and some Marleyan soldiers. Nothing out of the ordinary, just a plain day in the internment camp.

A yell broke the child from its senseless wandering. The people around started to walk towards the source of the yell; the child followed right back in curiosity.

In the middle of the street, a familiar orange-haired boy stood apprehended, his face covered in blood and bruises.

"This seemingly innocent warrior candidate has committed a heinous act of violence against a Marleyan citizen. For the murder of an innocent woman, this devil vermin is going to be sent to the island of Paradis." An officer spoke with finality.

Everyone was looking dumbfounded at the scene. They all knew the boy to be truly loyal to Marley, and one of the most cordial kids of his generation. He was an inspiring warrior who did everything for his family. At no point would he even consider harming an innocent woman, less so kill one.

"It wasn't me! I swear!" The boy cried in desperation. His pleas were ignored by everyone as they all just stood motionless. "Please! You have to believe me."

The officer that had previously spoken stepped in front of the boy and punched him hard on the nose, a loud crunch resounding from the impact. "Silence you devil! Your lies won't work on us." The boy continued to cry until his eyes met the child's. The brown eyes of the boy widened in recognition, soon followed by him turning his head to try to hide his shame.

"Finally you shut up. Head out!" The officer yelled and the other soldiers dragged the young boy away.

Nobody moved a muscle to help the injustice. It was their punishment for all the pain they caused Marley and the world when Eldia was an empire. Had their ancestors not been horrible people, then the injustices in the world would not exist. They were born sinners; they deserved everything that happened to them.

The child looked to the side and saw its grandparents looking at the boy. Not even an inch forward did the couple move; they just stood there with heartbreak visible in their eyes, but with an understanding that there was nothing to do in a world like this.

The scenery changed to that inside the Warrior's training compound. A loud thump was heard as the vision showed only the sky above. Then, a hand appeared in front as a sign of help. A feminine hand grabbed it, and the vision then became clearer.

A familiar blonde female nodded before speaking. "You're getting better Elena."

"Better isn't good enough. I need to beat someone so I don't get dropped out." The voice belonging to the vision said.

"Not really. If you just shoot better than Reiner you'll be good."

"Hopefully."

The pair walked towards where Commander Magath stood with a clipboard. He wore the same uniform he always wore, never-relaxing stern face.

"Training is over for the day. Return to your homes, and don't do anything stupid. We don't need another L/N incident."

The Warrior candidates all saluted at the officer until he left the premises. As soon as he did, a blonde boy approached Elena and pushed her.

"Reiner!" A tall brown-haired boy yelled, pulling the blonde away from the girl.

"It's not fair Bertholdt. Her family has been proven to be Eldian Restorationists, and her brother was a bloodthirsty monster, yet she's more likely to inherit a Titan than me?! How does that make sense?!" Reiner yelled.