1993

It had only been half a year since Remus began working at Hogwarts

It had only been half a year since Remus began working at Hogwarts. Every day Remus would come back to their shared apartment to tell Sirius how Harry is and how working as a professor at a school they once terrorized felt like. Sirius worked multiple jobs throughout the day trying to make ends meet. Neither of them were poor per se, but Sirius was cut out of the Black inheritance long ago, so he was on his own.

He still lived in the same apartment after all these years. No matter how much pain flooded back in whenever he would walk through the door, sleep in his bed, or stare at the cassette tape hung up on his wall, he didn't have the heart to get a new place. After all, there were more happy memories made in the 1000 square foot apartment than sad ones.

It was the end of the day and Sirius had just come back from working as a barista at a muggle coffee shop when Remus opened the door.

Remus found Sirius flipping through "Emma" by Jane Austen on the couch with his feet propped up onto the ottoman in front of him.

"Hey, Moony," he said, not looking up.

"Astoria's fantastic," Remus chuckled as he dropped his suitcase onto the ground and loosened his tie. Sirius clenched his book harder as he dropped it down to his nose. The sandy-haired boy lifted his hands up in defense as he picked up a loose towel from the ground. "Hey, okay, I know you don't like hearing about Astoria and whatnot, but can I just say? She's just like Nuna. In every way, I mean, she's the kindest Slytherin I teach, not to mention that when I confessed I knew her mother growing up, her face lit up! Now whenever she's in class she always asks about her mother and how she was when she was a kid and, Merlin," Remus took a breather, "it just feels so nice being able to talk about Nuna with someone. I just— I miss her. Dearly."

Sirius felt his throat clogging up. "You're telling me," he scoffed. Remus relaxed.

"I'm sorry mate, I really am."

Sirius took in a deep breath as he continued reading the same four sentences of his book. "She can't all be Nuna, can she? I mean, you must see some of Florian's biting personality in her as well."

"Surprisingly, no. She's 110% Nuna. She's as intelligent as Nuna, as well as kind, funny, serious," he laughed at himself. "Astoria reminds me more of you than Florian, to be frank."

Sirius's face deadpanned as he watched Remus hop around cluelessly, folding the towel. "What'd you just say?"

"I said she's kinda like you in every—" Remus stopped folding. Sirius brought his book down as they slowly turned to face each other. "Every... conceivable... way." Remus dropped the towel and Sirius dropped his book.

"Holy shit," they said together. Sirius jumped onto his chair.

"Do you think—"

Remus wagged his finger. "No. Stop. We're not going down this path."