Chapter 3 - An Old New Friend

"Please, sit tight sweetheart, okay?" the green coated Pegasus assured his little daughter. He stared into her Aqua green eyes, with as much love as he could muster. The filly stared back into her father's bright blue eyes, with worry and fear. 

"I will be back, I promise... for now, you'll be staying here, alright?" he brought the filly in for an assuring hug, rapping his hooves around her, as she rapped her long, skinny, cream-colored hooves around him too.

The pair was stood out in front of an old, run-down looking building. The door seemed to be old yet, able to do its job quite well. Any plants nearby seemed to be dead, uncared for. The building in itself looked run down and abandoned although it that wasn't quite the case. On a burnt, flimsy looking sign read the words, Sunny Filled Orphanage. The sign was coated in sky blue, to make it seem as though it was the sky above, at the very corner of its borders, was bright yellow, sun drawing. The words themselves were a shade of bright yellow to light orange.

The building in itself was massive and seemed to be able to hold a half a hundred elephants or more. The windows on the place seemed to lead in to some place bright and - as the name suggested - sunny filled. The bright blue color it was coated in almost masked the run-down appearance, it other-wise had. "P=promise?" the little, pink maned, filly, questioned with pleading eyes. She was now sat on her haunches with a sad frown stretching across her cream coated muzzle. The older Pegasus eyed his daughter, an unsure smile soon left his face to make way for a sad one instead. He gave her a slow nod, and uncertain nod. He shot his head up at the mare stood behind the two. Her brown thick mane, tied up in a loose bun, and her snake-like eyes, made her look almost.... evil. Though, her sweet smile and welcome posture said other-wise. She lifted a hoof up to her muzzle, to push up her red spectacles, somewhat floating over her muzzle

."I assure you, sir, she'll be happy here" the mare spoke with a tint of annoyance, though that was easily missed by the fake chipper tone she had chosen to use. The gray maned stallion nodded. He gazed back down at her daughter. Tears forming in her eyes, she watched as he gave the filly a little wave and goodbye. He trotted out of view, into the horizon, leaving his only foal behind at an unknown location. As he slipped away from her gaze, she let out a little whimper. A hoof was soon placed on her shoulder. The filly shot her head up, to see a stern mare look back at her. 

She pursed her lips, "Come with me" this time, there wasn't any fake chipper or cheery to mask away her annoyance, it was now in full view for everypony to hear. The filly gulped; what was going to happen?

The mare directed her into the massive hallway, leaving to an unreasonable amount of doors scattered about, in every direction she turned. Each door had nothing more than a simple sign on it, informing the ponies there, that the room was Staff Only. The walls inside didn't seem as bright and colorful though. The walls still looked bright, in an odd fashion. They beamed something, though the filly had no clue what that particularly was, nor did she seem to want to find out. She heard a hushed chatter coming from around the corner, it sounded like older mares gossiping on and on. She ignored the noises and just followed the cream, almost pale white, mare in front of her. They walked through multiple hallways each having a dozen or so door seeming to lead to nothing . Some had the Staff Only warning, while others had numbers, varying from 1 all the way up 14, that was all she saw, there could have been more. They soon came to holt in front of bare door, with no indication as to what was inside anywhere. The filly whimpered and hid behind the mare, at the louder noises coming from inside. It seemed to be a whole room filled with that same hushed chatter from the older mares earlier, just louder and more obnoxious. The mare banged the door open, revealing a surprised, shocked and maybe even scared group of fillies and colts. Some in their own circles other on their own, some in pairs or trios. The cream filly kept herself hidden in the older mare's tail. That was until; the mare shook her tail, ruffling it up in the process, she shook the filly out of her tail. The cream-colored Pegasus stood on her forehooves, and covered her face with her thick, pink mane. The brown maned mare groaned, and motioned for her to introduce herself. The filly just stared at her in confusion and fear.