{-CHAPTER TEN-}

Nevena and John were stood, waiting for Damiano to give the queue to guess their numbers.

"Nevena?"

"571......." She trembled.

"John?" Damiano asked.

"292." John sighed.

Damiano opened the envelope. He knew that someone's fate lied within the three digit number that was written on the paper.

"The number was ....... 318." Damiano read off the number. Victor began to tear up. John had the closest number

"THANK GOD!" John cried as he sighed of relief.

"NEVENA NO!!!" Victor cried. He ran for her, but she pushed him away.

"Victor..... It was meant to be....." She trembled. "I will always be with you....."

Victor saw the gun that was pointed directly at Nevena. Nevena clenched her eyes shut. Victor couldn't bear to see her get hurt. He wouldn't let her die! He had to keep his promise!

The shot fired... And Victor made his move. Nevena fell backwards and all became black.

.....

"Nevena?..... Nevena......" Netta tried shaking her awake. Nevena faintly heard her. She couldn't open her eyes. How was she alive? She couldn't figure that out....

Wait .... Victor!!!!!

Her eyes shot open. The first thing she saw was everyone crowding around something... But Victor wasn't in the group.

"Victor?..... Wh-where are you?" Nevena asked, trembling. Michael turned around to face her. His eyes were genuine and sad.

That's when Nevena realized.....

"Damn." Sergey said. "I wanted to be the one to kill him."

Nevena ran for Victor as he lay dying on the floor underneath of them.

"Victor!..... Please..." She wept. Victor slowly lifted his hand to stroke Nevena's blonde hair.

"Nevena..... You're okay!" He smiled.

"Victor..... Why? Why'd you do that?" Nevena wept.

"I... I had to protect you....." He stammered. The pain in his eyes was enough to make Nevena sob.

"Victor! It's gonna be alright! You'll be fine! I'm not letting you go!" Nevena sobbed.

"Nevena......... I can't bear to see you hurt...... I had to do this.... I couldn't see you..... Die...... I.... I love you too much....." Victor's breaths began to get weaker and quieter.

"Victor! We promised we'd live til the end together! You promised you wouldn't leave me!.... Please don't leave me!" Nevena cried as she grabbed onto Victor's shaking hands.

"Nevena..... I'll still be with you.... Just remember that......" Nevena knew that it would happen soon.... Victor was slipping away.

"I...... I love you, Nevena......" He said. Then he shut his eyes. His head sank into Nevena's arms.

"Victor please!!!!! I can't lose you!" Nevena sobbed. But it was too late....

Everyone looked at her with sad eyes. Even Sergey couldn't help but feel just a little pity.

"Victor please!" Nevena whispered as she rubbed her hand across his face. Then she began to sob again. She lifted his head to her shoulder, lifting his body close to hers.

Michael walked up to her.

"Nevena...." He began to say.

"He's..... he's gone!...." Nevena cried. She didn't want to believe it, but it was true....