Chapter 1

Katniss's Pov.

I hear banging on my door. "What?" I scream. The banging stops, "first day of school, silly." Prim says. Oh right. I'm going to be a senior in high school. I get to get out of that dump.

I quickly jump out of bed and brush my teeth and I wash my face. I go into my closet and get a pair of white jean shorts and a green, loose tank top that flows. It's really cute. I put on some light brown sperrys. I brush my hair out and let it flow down my back in its natural waves.

I go into my bathroom and apply some light make up. I walk down stairs and grab my north face. I put it on and grab an apple. I quickly eat it and I hear a honk.

"Bye mom, Bye Prim, bye Plutarch." Plutarch is my step-dad, my real dad had passed away.

I get in Peeta's car and we both say hi. I smile, I've always liked Peeta since 1st grade. But, I don't think he likes me that way. Plus his finger is tied around all the pretty girl. They'll do anything for him, that's why they hate me.

Peeta and I have been friends since kindergarten. We've always been neighbors too. He live literally 5 minutes from me. Sadly, my mind makes time go by quickly and we are at school.

"Thanks again, for the ride." I say as we get to Mockingjay High, the worst high school ever.

"Katniss, I drive you everyday!" He says while letting out a light chuckle. 'Man, his laugh is cute.' I think.

We walk in and Peeta and I get stares. Apparently I'm pretty, but I don't think I am. I walk up to our group which consists of Finnick, Annie, Gale, Johanna, Thresh, Cato, Clove, Glimmer, Marvel, Peeta, and of course, me.

"Hey!" They all yell. The boys do high fives and is girls hug. "Last year in high school, let make it our best!" Finnick yells.

I shake my head and smile. We start to walk up to our lockers. Finnick and Annie are already dating, so is Cato and Clove, Glimmer and Marvel, Johanna and Thresh, which leaves Peeta, Gale and I. The girls know I like Peeta, but they would never say anything.

We all look at our schedules.

"Oh my god!" I hear Annie squeal. She quickly goes around and looks at everybody's schedule. "We all have the same classes except one!" She practically yells.

Yeah, the girls and I are cheerleaders and sports players. I do cheer, lacrosse and soccer. While the boys do football and basketball. We all smile at each other, I can't help but stare at Peeta. I casually look at him and realize he is staring at me. I pretend I didn't notice though.

We all go get our supplies. First, we have math. We sit in the back and they have 11 desks in a line so we all sit in one. It goes Johanna, Thresh, Glimmer, Clove, Cato, Marvel, Gale, Peeta, me, Annie and Finnick.

Ugh, we have Mr. Abernathy, but he like us to call him by his first name. Haymitch. Peeta and I pass notes as he supposably 'teaches'. Yeah, it's more like slurs. He's always drunk.

I get a note from Peeta. "Want to hang today?" I smile.

"What time?" I write in my new, black sharpie. I pass him the note.

"Whenever, your house?" He give me the note. I nod at him and we listen to our drunk math teacher.

The day goes by fast and by the time I know it, I'm in Peeta's car. We drive straight to my house since he already asked his dad.

We step out and Prim hugs me. "Hey little duck!" She smiles.

She bombardes me with questions and I say fine for each one. We walk inside and go into my room. It's really big, Plutarch suggested that it would be. He had designed a house once my mom got married.

I have a king bed, a nightstand, a dresser with a big mirror, a walk in closet, a bathroom set for a queen, and a balcony that overlooks the gorgeous mountains.

I plump down on my bed and lay my head back on the cozy pillow. Peeta mocks me and does the same.

I sigh, "man I hate school." I say and he chuckles.

"Don't we all?" He laughs at his own joke. He may be all sporty and popular, but he is really smart. I give in and laugh.

"What do you want to do?" He smiles.

"I don't know about you," he says picking out the remote, "but I'm gonna watch tv." I laugh. Classic Peeta. I lay back down and text my friends.

Clove💁- Did you ask him yet?
Me- I'm not gonna ask him. Are you crazy?
Glimmer🌺- Shes not crazy, just logical. You'd make the perfect pair.
Me- He doesn't even like me, so why should I?
Annie❤️- Um.... Katniss I need to tell you something.
Me- Okay......
Annie❤️- Will you ask him out if for say, oh I don't know, Finnick said Peeta liked you?
Me-..........
Me- Are you sure?
Annie❤️- Hey kitty, Finnick here. He told me when you guys were at lunch and we were in the bathroom. I bet my sugar cubes he'd say yes.
Me- Fine.... But if he says no and you ruin our friendship, then I'm gonna kill you!
Glimmer🌺- Yay!
Clove💁- Finally!
Annie❤️- I told you I could do it!

I smile I've got great friends. Peeta looks at me and smiles.

"Do we have homework?" I ask trying to cause the awkward silence go away.

"Lucky, no!" He says. He looks straight into my eyes. I see something, it's like burning passion. Apparently we have the same idea because the next thing I know, we both crash our lips together.

His soft, warm lips are on mine. It's passionate, but it isn't hard. He chose my face as we move apart for air, but quickly going together again. My hands find their way to his hair. We pull apart and I rest my forehead in his.

I stay like this for about 2 minutes. We look into each other's eyes.

"I love you! Since kindergarten." He says quietly. I'm blushing, but I don't think it is enough to get noticed.

"I've loved you since first grade, but I never thought you loved me back. So I kept it a secret." I admit.

"So, I guess we're a thing now?" I smile happily. "Oh wait, where are my manners? Would you like to go on a date with me?" I smile.

"Of course I would!" I say. I kiss him, nothing can ruin this moment. Well, except Prim. I hear banging on the door.

We pull apart, "what do you want little duck?" I say and I hear Peeta chuckle.

"Mom said pizzas here!" She yells back.

"Thanks little duck." I say and look at Peeta and he is smiling. I shake my head and chuckle.

We get pizza and Peeta and I watch tv in my room. I start to get tired so I lay my head on Peeta's shoulder.

Sadly, Peeta has to leave. He starts to move and gets up and walk over to my side of the bed. "I'll see you at school tomorrow okay?" I nod.

He gives me a goodnight kiss and leaves.