Chapter 3: We have a problem

Pastry Cookie yawned as she woke up. She tossed in her bed, hoping to fall back asleep, but of course, sleep was not an option. She slid out of bed regretfully, and opened the curtains and her window. The gray clouds blocked out the sun, and the air smelled of rain. "Oh, that's just nice. Looks like we're in for a bit of downpour." Pastry began her daily struggle of getting ready half asleep, having a little less trouble than usual. She brushed out her hair, and carefully put on her veil. Pastry dug through her nightstand and pulled out her schedule for the day. "Daily outing with Milk...check in with the kingdom border....feed Cotton's sheep while she's out...doesn't look too busy. Good."

Pastry opened her closet and grabbed an umbrella before trudging down the stairs. She opened the door, greeted by a surprised Milk cookie. "Oh! You're awake already? I was just about to knock." Pastry gasped and faked offense. "You don't really think I want to sleep all day, do you?" Milk's eyes widened. "Nono, that's not what I meant at all! I was only saying—" "I'm kidding, besides, it's true." Pastry smiled. Milk sighed out of relief, before crossing his arms and facing away. "I didn't take you to be the joking type, Pastry." Although his pose suggested he was upset, he was clearly struggling to hold back his smile. Rain droplets began to fall from the sky, which prompted Pastry to open her umbrella. She held it over Milk's head as well. "You know, you don't have to do that. I have my own." Milk said after a few minutes "Consider this a thanks for being the only person who talks to me." She replied. "I think you mean, 'thank you for being my only friend', right?" Pastry bumped him in the shoulder. "Alright, alright, whatever you say, Ms. 'I don't need friends'". He laughed. However, he didn't notice how Pastry did not laugh back. Maybe I can allow myself to have one friend... She thought to herself.

The sun shined through the clouds hours later, making the grass and trees sparkle with rain. By now, Pastry had already parted ways with Milk to complete her other tasks of the day. She made her way to the front of the kingdom, where multiple cookie teams were preparing and training for battle. She approached a cookie with long blonde hair. "Hello, I'm Pastry Cookie. I'm here to check on the border?" The cookie turned around. He was adorned head to toe with spotless golden and royale blue armor that matched his eyes. He wore a winged headpiece on top of his head "I know you, word has it thay you're from the St. Pastry order?" The cookie asked. "Yes, that's me." "Well, you're honored to be in the presence of THE ONE AND ONLY Madeleine Cookie!" He flexed his muscles, flipping his hair to end his performance. Another cookie, one dressed in dark brown colors with circular glasses on his face, cleared his throat. Madeleine sighed and rolled his eyes. "...and his assistant, Espresso Cookie." Espresso Cookie quickly jumped in. "Wrong. Pay no mind to his antics. I, Espresso Cookie, am the brains of this kingdom. A pleasure to meet you." He pushed his glasses up, before pulling out a clipboard and walking away as if he had better business to attend to. "Alright....anyway. To answer your question, it has been getting worse and worse everyday. The monsters don't seem to plan on stopping anytime soon, and we've had several severe injuries as well. With the direction things are going, we may just need to lock down the kingdom." Madeleine spoke seriously, with a bit of nervousness in his tone. "However, we have managed to pin point the direction the monsters are coming from. They seem to be coming from the tower." He pulled a map out of his pocket and showed it to the purple haired cookie. "You don't mean..." Pastry started. "The Tower of Sweet Chaos? Yes." Madeleine finished for her. "We haven't been able to send an adventure team to the location because—" Madeleine's voice began to fade out as Pastry got lost in her thoughts. I remember...back when Dark Enchantress Cookie was active, there was a huge oven in the middle of the tower. That cake monster...no, cookie? Was the one behind it. But shouldn't it have been dormant after Dark Enchantress Cookie's defeat? "Hello? Earthbread to Pastry Cookie? Are you listening?" Huh? Pastry Cookie was broken out of her thoughts, and focused her attention to Madeleine. "Wow, I thought I lost you there. Try to pay better attention, this is important." He scolded. "I'm sorry. Please continue."

After a long day, Pastry looked at her To-Do list one last time. "Right, I need to feed Cotton's sheep. I should head to the barn, I doubt she would have left them in this rain." The sun began to set as she walked, and the street lamps turned on. She arrived at the barn and unlocked it, hearing the sheep upon entry. She opened the door to the pen, letting the sheep make their way out.

She felt a wind behind her. What the... She turned with her fork, pointing it in the direction of the wind. She saw a blur of red and black move behind a few bales of hay. She quietly walked towards it, fork in front of her, trying not to alert whatever had intruded into the barn. She quickly turned the corner and aimed at the figure. "I'VE CAUGHT YOU!" She shouted. "What the—?! YOU?" Her eyes widened, and before she knew it, the figure had tackled her to the ground.

-

A/N: Sorry for the short and late chapter everyone! Finals just ended, so I took the opportunity to write a quick chapter. Expect a few more chapters during the break! I hope everyone has a happy holiday! <3