before

THE GIRL LOOKED AT THE harbors, searching for red silks of keftas, but there was none. She felt herself relax after days of traveling. The boy and the younger girl were in other ship now, far away from where she was heading.

Was that the right decision to make? What would she do now in a strange city? But that day, her insecurities and fears stayed on the ship, the next few months she would spend it building skills to survive in the streets of the Ketterdam. She would have to change her chameleon personality to match the ones of murders, thieves and liars from the Barrel.

But the girl was scare every day and time she went out. The news of certain summoner dying or uprising never reached her, and that made her paranoid.

Behind every veil, Mister Crimson, Lost Bride or Madman mask she thought could be him, finally coming to take her away and finish his business with the sharp boy that were left halfway in one alley of East Ravka.

But the months passed and he never came. She thought maybe it was finally over, maybe she could stay a little longer and enjoy simpler life there where she had a different name and no one expected anything from her.

The girl liked it there, the cold and wet weather, the constant noise from the crowded streets and gambling games that distracted her from her own thoughts, she even liked Kerch's alcohol better than Ravka's. But she hated the nights, where the darkness tortured her in dreams and the moon looked less like a jewel and more of a yellowy blister in need of lancing.

She missed her home. The boy and the girl were all she could think of at noons, the only time where the crooked house was really quiet.

Had they gotten safely to harbor? Where were they? Were they okay?

Please, let them be okay. She prayed those nights laying wide awake, hoping any Saint would be listening.

ECLIPSE,    grishaverseजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें