ix. scared and scarred

YELENA AND JASMIN SPOKE for a solid half and hour. The General asked the Heartrender basic questions, like where she was born, about her parents, why'd she choose to be a soldier and not a Healer. Jasmin answered without hesitation, having nothing to hide. She was born in Novyi Zem, her mother was a Corporalki who fled the country when she was young, not wanting to be part of the war. Her father was a Zemini farmer, he died when she was just thirteen but she didn't say how, and Yelena wasn't going to push for an answer. He taught her to be kind and brave and to always fight for her ideals, so when he passed, Jasmin begged her mother to come back to Ravka and let her train in the Little Palace, she wanted to fight for her people and the country, make it a better place for everyone. Jasmin started her training late at age fourteen, the rest of the Grisha were already ahead of her and not very welcoming with the Zemini. She had just a few friends, but found comfort in books most of her times. Yelena could tell the girl was sweet and kind, but it didn't make her less of a warrior. The General had a good feeling about her, so she decided to ask her to be in her personal guard.

Jasmin stood up from the chair, her brown eyes were wide and a smile was resting on her lips. She came closer to Yelena and bowed deeply, excitement irradiating from her petite figure. "Yes, moi soverenyi. It would be my greatest pleasure to protect the one who's going to change the country." she mumbled.

Yelena put a hand on her shoulder and the Heartrender rose. "You shouldn't be this excited. There's enemies in every corner, and you'll be risking your life at every second. Maybe you should rest on it." The General pressed her lips together, she didn't like the idea of them dying for her, but she knew Alina, Mal, the twins and even Nikolai wouldn't allow her to be on her own.

"I know that. There always have been people threatening our lives at every corner anyway. But you are doing something about it, and I'll be honored to be a part of your guard." Jasmin smiled, happy and sincere. Yelena nodded. "May I ask you.., why me?"

"Why not you?" Yelena furrowed her brows.

"What I mean is.. I know Fedyor and Zoya are your friends and they've way more experience than I do. They grew up here after all. So why'd you choose me?" Jasmin eyes were glued to the floor, her hands pressed together.

Yelena couldn't help but see herself in the Heartrender. She remembered when Trevor took her under his wing and she spent most of her time thinking why. Why her, why not someone older, why not someone better, why not someone wiser. She would bring herself down on her own, when she was as capable as the others.

Yelena's hand went to Jasmin's chin. Her fingers rested on the brown skin as she made her look up, locking her brown with the General's gray. "You are as capable as any other." Yelena stated. "And you didn't grow up here, so you know more than old traditions and Heartrender pride."

The General smiled, letting go of Jasmin as she blushed and looked away. Then a knock echoed through the room and a servant she'd never seen in the Little Palace came in, pushing a cart with trays in it. Yelena was confused but she ignored it, thinking they were there to pick up her breakfast, that only Nikolai ate.

"Tolya." Yelena got to the door as the Shu man turned to her. "Fetch Jasmin a pin and help her get her stuff. She's moving to the quarters."

Tolya bowed his head slightly, but Yelena could see his confusion and disagreeing behind his eyes. Then he gesture Jasmin to follow him and they went to get the latters stuff from her old room. The servant left after them, she closed the door and Yelena was alone for the first time in the morning. She let a breath out and turned to sit on a chair before going to the wild war council that expected her. In that moment, something caught her eye: the servant left the trays. Yelena was crazy about details, so she knew they weren't the same ones from earlier. She got close to the table, her footsteps echoing through the dark marbled floor. When she took the cover off, she had to fight the urge to smile from ear to ear. Chamomile tea and chocolate cookies rested on the silver tray. Yelena took the cup and brought it close, the steam warmed her face as the scent reached her nostrils. It smell like sweet apples on a spring afternoon.