Chapter 10

23rd June 2021

Virat suddenly woke up at the mid night, panting heavily. He looked his around to find anushka and vamika sound asleep. He sighed and got up from bed and walked to the balcony. He silently sat there, trying his best to calm down. But he couldn't forget his nightmare.

They lost again, by a huge margin. He saw how his best friend looked completely devastated, just like he looked after 2019 world cup defeat. He saw how his kiddos were stood in the ground with their head hung low, trying to hide their disappointment and tears from him. He saw how everyone was blaming him for this!! How every indian fan were demanding to sack him from the captaincy. He could have handled it but the worst thing he saw that his teammates, his second family also blamed him for this. They also thought that he's the reason behind their continues defeats in knock out matches. They left him alone and that's the thing that scares him the most.

He could sustain every damn thing in the world, but he couldn't bear his family ignoring and blaming him.

Virat shook his head.

"No that was just a stupid bad dream, virat kohli. Stop thinking about that and go to sleep. You've a big task in your hands. You've to make sure to win this match. SO STOP OVERTHINKINGS AND GO BACK."

Virat inhaled deeply and went back. He laid on bed and was staring mindlessly at the ceiling, before sleeping eventually.

Day 4 of the final

Both the not out batsmen, Virat and Pujara came to the crease to resume their innings. Before taking the strike, virat first went to the nz wicket keeper BJ Wattling, who was playing his last test match and congratulated him for his test career. Wattling seemed a bit surprised at first, but then he smiled and shook his hand with the indian captain. Match started and both the batsmen were playing responsibly, careful not to lose any wicket. But in the 35th over, when Kyle Jamison bowled a short length delivery outside off the stump virat misjudged the ball again and tried to play a short. Ball edged with bat and Bj wattling took no moment to catch the ball. Jamieson roared to celebrate, when umpire rised his finger and whole nz team jumped to celebrate. It took virat a moment to realize what he have done but it's too late now. Pujara threw a helpless glance at his captain, who walked back to the pavilion, looking completely broken. Rahane tried to comfort his best friend when he walked into the ground but virat didn't said anything to him and walked away.

India lost it's biggest match winner on the score of 71 and it became worse when india lost another 2 wickets of Dependable Pujara and vice captain rahane in next few overs and by the lunch india's score was 130 and they already lost half of the team. All hopes of indian fans were on the young wicket keeper Rishab Pant and All rounder Ravindra Jadeja, the last recognized batting pair of indian batting line up. Virat was all silent throughout the lunch and Rohit was trying his best to cheer him up. Before going back to the ground, rishab came to his captain and said

"I'll try my best, virat bhaiya!! I promise I'll!!"

For the first time since his dismissal, virat smiled a little.

"I know you'll, rishu!! I believe you."

Rishab smilingly hugged his Virat bhaiya and went back to the ground with Jadeja.

The partnership of Pant and Jadeja was slowly forming stronger and indian fans were starting to regain their hopes but when in the 62th over jadeja got out and shortly after boult got both pant and ashwin's wicket in one over, all beliefs of winning the match were shattered. Rishab came back to the dressing room, finding his captain sitting at the same place where he sat 2 hour ago. He tearfully went to him