Chapter 4

Over the next few days Sophie had fallen back into her stride.

Keefe stayed with her, as he had no other place to go, and she wasn't complaining.

Suddenly the lonely castle became home.

She would enter after a hard day's work and Keefe would pull her into a kiss.

She would be doing her head in with paper work and he would pull her away, making sure she took a breather.

The only problem was, their 'relationship' had to remain between them, or else Sophie would be kicked from the council.
______________________________________

"Keefe, are you... Happy?"

Sophie lifted her head from his shoulder, she had been pondering this for a while.

"I guess it would be better if we didn't have to be secret, but Foster I'll take what I can get. And when I came down here I didn't think I would get anywhere near this much."

Sophie smiled and nestled into him, "You mean that?"

Keefe kissed her forehead, "I really do. But what about you Foster?"

She sighed happily, "Better than I have been in months. You have no idea how much I've missed you."

Keefe moved her head to face him and kissed her, "Ditto," was all he said jokingly when he pulled back. It was more than enough.
______________________________________

"Mom, Dad!" Sophie ran down Havenfield's green pastures to meet Grady and Edaline, her adoptive parents, with a hug.

"You seem cheery today," Grady smiled at her. "Much happier than you were last time." Edaline added. "What happened?" She laughed.

"Oh, nothing. I'm just in a good mood." Sophie mused, and set off for the Ruewen's enormous manor. Grady and Edaline followed.

"Oh, by the way Sophie, we have a surprise for you." Edaline wrapped an arm around her shoulder, and Sophie grinned. "Can we move a bit faster? Now I'm excited!" She said with a laugh.

"It's in your old bedroom." Grady took her hand and pulled her upstairs, Edaline followed with her hands clasped.

Whatever the surprise was, they were very proud of themselves.

"Here," Grady stopped in front of her bedroom door with his hand on the handle, "And you're allowed to freak out."

He pushed it open and Sophie stepped in.

"Taadaa!"

At least 5 voices hit her at once, she looked in. Standing, in her old room, were all her friends: Biana, Dex, Tam, Linh, Marella, and... Fitz.

"Oh my God, oh my God!" She repeated over and over in excitement, assessing each of them one by one. They all echoed her excitement with squeals of their own. That was until she saw him.

"Fitz." Sophie started, not sure how to react.

"Hey Sophie." He rubbed the back of his head.

"Didn't bring the wife I see." Sophie said, somewhat coldly.

"It... Didn't work out." Fitz looked away.

"Shame. Anyways, how are you guys?" Sophie turned her attention from Fitz, she wasn't quite ready to be mutual with him yet, and focused on her other friends.

"Brilliant." Biana sighed, "Me and Tam are talking about a third child, after the twins have started school of course." She took Tam's hand, he nodded, "Yeah, as if 2 isn't enough." He rolled his eyes jokingly before kissing Biana on the cheek.

"Me and Marella are getting married in a couple of months... The council are permitting LGBTQ+ weddings now." Linh grinned at her fiance from across the room, and Marella butted in, "You all are invited, by the way."

Everyone congratulated the couple on that, Dex then rolled his eyes.

"Update on me and Stina? In truth, it isn't going too well. I want a kid but she isn't so keen... But other than that everything's cool." Dex rubbed the back of his head, Sophie hugged him sympathetically.

"Well, we'll leave you kids the catch up." Edaline said from the doorway.

"Just no doing drugs." Grady winked at them, and the group giggled.

Hours passed by, and they all sat in Sophie's room laughing and gossiping, just like they used to.

"Can you guys keep a secret?" Sophie said eventually.

They all nodded except for Marella, everyone looked at her.

"What, I'm a gossip!"

They all glared.

"But... I'll keep this one secret." She said it as if carrying on from her prior statement.

Everyone laughed at her, before turning back to Sophie expectantly.

"So, what's the crack?" Biana rubbed her hands together, waiting for Sophie to share.

"Well..." Sophie smiled sheepishly.

"Come on!" Dex moved next to Biana, and they all formed a little huddle around Sophie.

"Ok. You can't tell anyone, not even Grady and Edaline, but... Me and Keefe are kind of in a secret relationship."

There was an uproar after that.

"What, no! He left, and you were mine! I'm going to kill him..." Fitz clenched his fists.

"But isn't that forbidden? You're gonna get yourself kicked off the council Sophie!" Biana looked at her with concern.

"I'm happy for yous-" Linh started, "No. It's stupid and foolish." Tam cut her off.

"Sophie, I'm not sure that's a good idea..." Dex looked at her with uncertainty.

Marella looked around the group incredulously, "Am I the only one focusing on the fact that this means Keefe is back??"

Everyone went off on a tangent about that after Marella's statement.

"Would you all just shut up?!" Sophie half shouted it, everyone looked at her.

"We know there is a risk, but I love him-"

"No! I thought you loved me?!" Fitz cut Sophie off.

"Yeah. Then you left everyone running away with some girl." Dex reminded him, Fitz shut up.

"As I was saying... We've assessed the risks, we know it could get me kicked off the council, but it's worth it. Even if I do get kicked off, I'll at least be happier than I was before." Sophie looked down, before continuing, "And as for your questions about Keefe being back..." She paused, "Yes he's back. He knocked on my door around a week ago and explained everything, including why he left in the first place."

Sophie explained everything Keefe had said to her to her friends, and they all stared at her in shock. "This is big." Linh gaped at Sophie.

"Can we see him?" Biana pleaded, "It would be amazing to have a complete reunion... It just isn't right without him."

Others chimed in their agreement, Sophie sighed and nodded.

"Yous better stay good on your word."

They all whooped at that.