Chapter 9

"Sophie!"

Keefe finally caught up with her and found her under Calla's panakes tree, exactly where he knew she would be.

"You're using my first name." Sophie looked up at him.

"Given the situation, using Foster sounds wrong." Keefe sighed. "Can I sit?"

She nodded and watched him lower himself so he was facing her.

"I... I just want you to know that I'm not giving up on you this time. Last time you did this and shut everyone out, you went off and became a Councillor and I don't want that to happen again.

Sophie smiled, "But I'm already on the Council Keefe."

Keefe smiled briefly back but it faded as he said, "I know, I just don't want something worse to happen, like losing you completely."

She looked him in the eyes, the boy she loved, he stared right back. 

"This is so difficult, Keefe, I was set on my decision back there, I was going to leave, again, but before, when I was just sitting here alone, it felt so wrong."

Keefe took her hands, "I'm not sure what exactly the Black Swan were thinking when they put all that pressure on you, a teenage girl, but Foster, the Neverseen are gone, and what are you doing? Sitting here worrying about the stupid Council. Seriously, they aren't worth it, no one likes them anyway." Keefe said the last part to get a reluctant smile out of her, and it worked.

"What you were saying before Keefe, about me and you being able to lead a normal life, that really got me thinking. It sounds amazing, like there is nothing I want more, but how could I give up this," She pointed to her Councillor circlet, "For something so... Ordinary? I was made for more..."

Keefe sighed, "Sophie, you practically single-handedly defeated the Neverseen. How can you say that isn't enough? If you have this attitude towards life, when are you ever gonna get the chance to live?"

He moved next to her as she welled up. 

"I love you Keefe, I really do."

She fell into his arms, and he held her tight. Burying his head into her hair he muttered, "I hope you know this changes nothing, whatever you choose I'm staying, I'm not running away again. Maybe me and Fitzy can become a pair of alcoholic slobs who do nothing but play video games all day or something." He laughed, Sophie rested her head on his shoulder.

"Promise me something," Sophie said quietly.

"Anything." Keefe kissed her head.

"Promise me you will never, ever, become an alcoholic slob."

"I promise." He chuckled.