Chapter 6

"Keefe!"

Biana practically leaped on top of him as he stepped into Sophie's old room.

"I missed you so much!" She pulled off and her face changed, "And how dare you leave us!" She smacked his arm, "Ow!"

Keefe rubbed his arm before muttering, "Guess I deserved that."

"You most certainly did." Biana put her hands on her hips and smirked at him, "I feel much better for that, you're forgiven Keefe."

The others crowded around him, asking questions. Keefe was more than happy to answer, and seemed to be loving the attention, or so Sophie observed.

Eventually, when her friend's questions died down, everyone turned to Fitz, who had remained quiet at the back throughout the entire thing.

The two looked at eachother for a moment, Fitz was the first to speak, "Keefe." He said, with a dismissive tone.

"Fitz." Keefe answered, just as coldly.

They were all about to get back to talking and catching up, but Fitz had decided he had more to say.

"You're all willing to make merry with this traitor?" Fitz spat.

"Fitzy is speaking in posh, he must be mad." Keefe smirked.

"Yeah. I am. You stole my girlfriend from me."

"Fitz, you and Sophie broke up years ago. You got married." Dex said it, as if trying to shake him awake.

"Wake up and smell the coffee Fitz, she's just not into you." Linh said with a yawn.

Everyone giggled.

Fitz advanced on Keefe, "You have the audacity to come back after leaving us all and-"

"Not like you can speak." Tam sneered.

"Yeah, you technically did leave first..." Biana pointed out, obviously not wanting to evoke conflict between her and her brother.

"Biana? You of all people are taking their side?" Fitz stared at his sister incredulously.

"I-" Biana started, just to be cut off by Keefe.

"Fitzy, you're outnumbered. And like it or not, you can't just swoop back in and claim Foster."

"Isn't that technically what you did?" Fitz rolled his eyes.

"Yeah, but I was the one who agreed to be in a relationship with Keefe. It's completely different when only one person wants that relationship." Sophie said, taking Keefe's hand.

Fitz stormed out of the door, and slammed it behind him.

After the sound of his footsteps had died, everyone errupted into a fit of giggles. Keefe pulled Sophie in and kissed her head, she laughed, "I miss this."
"What, miss everyone bullying Fitz?" Keefe joked.
"Well, yeah that too, but I mean I miss this."

Sophie looked around at all her friends laughing and talking, Keefe smiled, "I know what you mean..." He trailed off and the two stood in comfortable silence for a moment.

"You know, Foster, it could be like this again."

Keefe turned her to face him, "We don't have to be secret, you know, we can hang out with our friends, we don't have to hide from Grady and Edaline, you just need to resign from the Council."

Keefe said it as if it was the simplest thing in the world, and the pleading look in his eyes almost made her agree, but then she looked in the mirror.

Circlet around her head.

She had so much power now, so much influence on the elven world, it was all she had wanted. To have her voice heard. Was there any way better to achieve that than becoming a Councillor?

Keefe seemed to know what she was thinking, because he turned her away from the mirror.

"It's your choice, I'm here to stay either way. Just... Please consider it. We could be a normal couple Foster, leading normal lives, we could get married, have a family even." Keefe's eyes filled with longing as he said it, and even Sophie had to admit that that kind of normal sounded so blissfully good.

"I'll think about it Keefe... I really will."