chapter nine

{AN: short chapter! I am halfway done with chapter 10, and I am so excited to introduce a new character next chapter. enjoy this one and the 10th part should be our shortly. ily guys!!}

POPE: 

It feels like a dream. Like any second I'm gonna snap awake, and be extremely disappointed. Like yeah, I've always wanted him, but the idea that he could want me, well that's just absurd. 

"What are you thinking about?" JJ snaps me out of my thoughts. 

"You. And how I never want to leave this porch." I can almost hear his smile. 

He squeezes my hand tighter. I look back into the house, the old, rusty clock on the wall reading 5:30 am. At least it's Saturday, because we didn't get any sleep. 

My thoughts drift from JJ to my mom. How I miss her. How I wanna tell her about JJ, and how I know she would accept and be happy for me. She always thought he was a sweetheart. He is. When he wants to be. 

Sarah's gonna wake up soon, she's always up so fucking early. JJ pulls a cigarette out of his pocket, lights it, and offers it to me.

"Nah." I don't wanna make a habit out of it. 

He begins smoking it. A familiar figure walks up to the house. JJ pulls away from me and scoots across the cold porch. He face turns cold, opposed to the warm, happy look on his face he had on seconds ago. Now I want the cigarette. 

"Kie's asleep." JJ says harshly. 

"Is everyone else asleep?" Rafe asks.

"Mhm." He responds, getting angrier the longer he has to look at Rafe's ugly face. Okay, as much as I wish he was, Rafe isn't ugly, but his face still boils my blood.

He walks past us, into the beat down house, and right into Kie's room. My mouth falls open in shock. Who the fuck does he think he is? 

Right then, I changed my mind. I hold my two fingers out for the cigarette. I stand up, and walk into the house, the lit cig still in my hand. I plop down on the couch. JJ stays outside. About 30 minutes later, Sarah comes out into the living room. She sits down with me for some time, before saying "I should probably check on Kie." 

Shit. 

"No, she's fine. She got up to go to the bathroom like 20 minutes ago." I lie. 

She stays seated. 

"Where's JJ?" 

"Outside." 

A knock on the door almost makes me jump. I walk over to the door, and Shoupe and another policeman are standing straight and still. Sarah comes up behind me. 

"Can we speak to Rafe Cameron?" The taller of the two asks. 

"Um, Rafe isn't here…?" Sarah says, confused. 

"We stopped by the Cameron residence and some young child named Wheezie said he was headed here." The shorter one speaks. 

JJ stands up from outside and looks at me. 

Suddenly, Rafe's voice is behind us all, deep into the house. 

"What do yall need?" He says in a tone that probably shouldn't be used on police, but I don't give a fuck. Sarah whips her head around. 

Her eyes go wide.

"Can we speak with you?" 

"Why?" 

"We have some questions regarding the murder of Topper Thronton." Rafe rolls his eyes. He follows them outside, and JJ comes inside, not caring to listen to their conversation. 

He closes the door behind him. 

"Okay, what the actual fuck?" Sarah says. I stay silent. 

"No, someone's gonna say something. Yesterday, he stopped when he saw us. So what?" 

"Um, I don't know." I lie.

"Yeah sure." She walks down the hall, into Kie's room. She covers her eyes as soon as she opens the door, and I assume she isn't dressed. She turns around, thinks for a second, then gasps when the realization settles in. 

She walks into the living room. 

"You two knew." She says, not a question, a statement, looking at me and JJ.

She doesn't leave like I assumed she would, but she walks into her room where JB is sleeping. 

JJ sits right next to me. Kie comes out of the bedroom that isn't hers, but she sleeps in it so much it might as well be. 

"How mad on a scale of 1-10?" 

"11." JJ smirks. 

"This isn't funny JJ." 

"You knew that she was gonna be mad, yet you still slept with her evil brother who everyone hates." 

"It's not like I wanted to fall in love with him. I wanted to fall in love with someone normal, someone that wouldn't cause problems, someone that has no drama attached with him." It's not like I could argue with that. I understood that perfectly. I don't mean JJ isn't normal, but falling in love with someone that has drama? Falling in love with someone that would cause drama? That I understand. 

Sarah walks out of the room. "You're not saying here anymore. Go back to your house on Figure Eight, I'm sure your parents would accept you seeing Rafe, I mean he is a kook. Just make sure you don't tell them he's a literal sociopath." She says in a tone I didn't know Sarah could ever speak in. 

"Can we please just talk about this?" 

"No." John B says, suddenly in the living room, sharing the hate we all feel for Rafe. "I'm with Sarah on this one. This is fucked up." 

A single tear falls from her face, and she wipes it away immediately. 

"JJ? Pope?" She says, trying not to cry. 

I don't say anything. I love Kiara. She's one of my best friends, but I can't back her on this one. I can agree and understand, but we can't have Rafe hanging around us, and she completely betrayed Sarah. JJ shakes his head. 

She walks into the bedroom, grabs her stuff, and walks out the front door. The police finish talking to Rafe, and Kie and Rafe walk away together. Sarah starts crying. 

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you." JJ says. 

She rolls her eyes. "It wasn't your responsibly. She's in the wrong here." 

I nod my head. 

2 days pass of Sarah shifting from mad to missing Kie. 

And now it's Monday. Time for school.