Prologue

Sanjeevni Hospital

Shimla

Arnav was waiting with his brothers outside the ICU. They were informed about the accident just two hours ago. He had rushed from his wedding as soon as he heard the news. His father was on death bed and wanted to meet him immediately. The very same father who had no time to attend his son's wedding. The same father who had not spoken to them in the last ten years.

His younger brothers did not even wish to be here, but there was nothing he could do now. A person's last wish had to be honored. He could not deny his own father. no matter how bitter their relationship had turned out, there was once a time when he admired his father a lot. he could not forget that. His wife was sitting in the waiting lounge, looking completely exhausted. He did not expect her to accompany him on this journey. He hardly knew her. She was the granddaughter of his business associate. Their marriage was more of a business merger. He was expecting a pampered princess, but he was surprised to find a strong independent woman.

The doctor came out of the ICU.

"Mr. Oberoi, aap apne father se mil skate hai. Please dhayan rakhye ke unke paas jyada waqt nehi hai, try not to agitate him"

Arnav nodded his head and went inside. His father was hooked to various machines. He looked so weak and lifeless. The powerful Sushant Oberoi had faded away into this fragile looking person. Arnav's eyes misted with tears. He could never hate his father, even after he betrayed their mother, he had still loved him. his father's betrayal had broken his mother. When she decided to leave him, Arnav had stood by her side. He was there with her till the very end. Even after her death he had respected her decision to keep her children away from her husband. but today seeing his father in that state, he could no longer pretend indifference. All the suppressed emotions were coming to the surface.

Mr. Oberoi opened his eyes with much difficulty. He was relieved to see his son. He had been waiting to talk to him- "Arnav...."

Arnav held his father's hand- "dad, main yahe hoon, please aap stress maat lejeye"

Mr. Oberoi sighed- "maine tumhare shadi miss kar de"

Arnav was surprised. His father remembered his wedding?

Mr. Oberoi- "main tumhare paas he aa raha tha, jab accident...."

Arnav was shocked.

Mr. Oberoi- "I am sorry Arnav, baap hone ka koi zimmedare main nehi nebha saka. Ho sake to mughe maaf kar dena beta"

Arnav- "dad please, aap stress maat lejeye. Pehle aap theek ho jaye phir baat karte hai"

Mr. Oberoi- "mere paas waqt bohot kam hai Arnav, yeh hum dono jante hai. Mughe jo kehna hai who keh lene do beta"

Arnav remained silent. There was no use in lying now.

Mr. Oberoi- "mere jane ke baad mere property aur business sab tumhe he samhalna hai Arnav, mughe pata hai tumme who capability hai, iseleye maine sabkuch tumhare naam kar deya hai"

Arnav was shocked. How could his father do that? That was not fare to anyone.

Mr. Oberoi- "tumhare bhaiyo ko unka haq zarurar milega, lekin sirf tab jab tum unhe who haq dena chaho. I have left everything on your discretion Arnav. Kise kya dena hai, kab dena hai tum decide karo beta. Mughe pata hai mere na maujoodge me tumne he Anirudh aur Ayushman ko pala hai. Tumne jo keya main uska karz nehi chuka sakta Arnav, bas shukreyada kar sakta hoon"

Arnav sighed- "maine sirf apna farz nebhaya hai papa"

Mr. Oberoi- "mere jane ke baad tumhe mere ek aur zimmedare nebhane hoge"

Arnav looked at him

Mr. Oberoi tightened his grip on Arnav's hand- "Aditya...."

Arnav tried to remove his hand from his father's grip, but Mr. Oberoi did not let go. His breaths were becoming labored. His heartbeat started racing. Prithvi pressed the emergence button. The doctors rushed in.

Nurse- "doctor pulse rate is dropping"

The doctor started putting back the oxygen mask, but Mr. Oberoi stopped him. he knew he did not have much time left. He could not die knowing his youngest son would be left homeless and alone.

"Aditya abhi bacha hai Arnav, please use samhal lo, who tumhara bhai hai, please mere galti ke saza use maat do" he started gasping for breath.

Arnav looked at the doctor. The doctor shook his head. there was nothing they could do for his father anymore.

Mr. Oberoi-"Arnav, please, Aditya......Aditya..... ke zemmedari... please....beta"

Arnav closed his eyes. He was flooded with countless emotions, anger, anxiety, fear, guilt, hatred....... but his love for father won in the end. He knew what he was about to do would hurt his own family, but he had to make the choice. For the peace of his father's soul, he had to take responsibility for the one person who he loathed the most.

"Arnav.....Aditya" Mr. Oberoi was not able to construct coherent sentences.

Aditya opened his eyes and gave him his word- "aaj se Aditya mere zimmedare hai papa, aap chinta maat kejeye, main use uska haq doonga, yeh wada hai mera aapse"

Mr. Oberoi gasped- "haq nehi Arnav........use bas pyaar do...... use apna lo.....ple......"

Mr. Oberoi could not complete his sentence. His heart gave up on him. the doctor checked his pulse and called in the time of death. Tears escaped from Arnav's eye. What had he done?