Chapter Six

Zosia looks through the junk when Sam suddenly pulls her down next to him "Get down

Zosia looks through the junk when Sam suddenly pulls her down next to him "Get down. It's the cops." he tells the others. "You were right. By being born, I wrecked my parents' lives." Jake tells Andy as his dad drives past. "I didn't put it like that exactly, and anyway, change isn't necessarily better." Andy tells him. "Really?" Jake asks. "Well... Cops have notorious cholesterol and hypertension issues. And in a survey I read, real estate agents rated below telemarketers in trustworthiness." Andy explains. "OK, all clear." Felix tells them. They all stand up and start walking to the trolly Andy found "I can't believe it's come to this. Other people's rubbish?" Sam asks. "You've been a great help, Sam. Really, don't put yourself out." Andy says putting some stuff in the trolly. "Dude, if you want a whole heap of useless junk, that's your business." Sam tells him. "This isn't junk. Did you know that in this country, we throw out more than $5 billion worth of stuff every year? Better to reuse what we've already got. It's a philosophy called Freeganism." Andy explains. "Freegan, huh? That's pretty cool." Jake remarks. "Oh, you just made that word up." Sam responds. Zosia rolls her eyes and jumps on Sam's back "Can I help you?" he asks. "Nah, just keep walking." she smiles.

Jake sets up the stove he found as Zosia sits next to Sam "I don't know if the gas is gonna work, but here's hoping. Turn it, doofus." Jake tells Andy. "Oh." he responds before turning the gas and making the stove turn on "Oh, good work!" he tells Jake. "Who's up for a home cooked meal? I do a pretty mean BLT." Jake says. "Small problem, we don't have food." Zosia points out. "Well, we'll go shopping." Jake shrugs. "With what?" Sam asks. "Your money should get us some basics." Jake tells him. "What money?" Sam questions. "The money you earned from skate busking." Jake says. "Ah... about that." he says. "You spent it, didn't you?" Jake asks. "It was only a couple of bucks." Sam tells them. "Selfish fool..." Jake glares. "Actually he spent it on me." Zosia retorts. "On what?" Andy asks. Zosia pulls out a pack of the hygiene products Sam got her "Oh." Andy says. "Well, I guess we're Freegans, then. So who's coming shopping?" Jake asks. "I'll come. Although Freegans don't actually shop." Andy responds. "Look, you coming or not?" Jake questions. "Yeah." Andy nods. "Great." Jake responds.

Later that morning Zosia sits with Sam by the water as he skims stones, as he does Andy comes running round the corner "RUN!" he shouts. Turning they both see Andy being chased by a swarm of birds. Sam grabs Zosia's hand and pulls her up as they start running back to the hut, slamming the door behind them "I think they got Jake." Andy tells Felix. "The crows?" Felix asks. "No, the cops." Andy responds. "Divinity of the Elements, I summon Thee." Felix says trying to use the talisman. "Is a poem the right response?" Andy asks. "We have to get him back." Felix tells them. "He's probably loving it, a bed for the night, free food. How bad could it be?" Sam asks. "We have to rescue him. The talisman won't work if we're not all together." Felix explains. "Here we go. Dark Arts 101..." Sam starts. "The security camera." Andy says. "What?" Zosia asks. "At the school, when we broke in. I saw it." Andy explains. "Ye-yeah, me too. Me too." Felix nods. "It's got footage of us trashing the gym." Andy tells them. "Oh..." Sam trails off. "The cops will have the footage, for sure." Andy says. "Jake's been arrested, it won't take them long to find the rest of us." Felix tells them. "So what do we do?" Sam asks. "We have to learn to think outside the box, Sam." Andy says before he starts taking apart the stove.