Chapter 35: Promises

I would like to preface this chapter by stating that there may be some triggers for those of you who have or are struggling with an eating disorder. The chapter includes refusal to eat, encouragement, and comfort while eating. The chapter does not directly deal with an eating disorder but some of the content could be triggering, though I hope most of it is comforting. Just thought I would preface this for those of you who may not be comfortable with this. I love you beautiful babes!

Y/n's POV

"I'm here, darling... I'm here."

It was as if something clicked in that moment. I felt warm, hot tears began slipping down my cheeks as Severus lifted my body, taking a seat next to me, and pulling me into his chest. I clutched at his robes, too afraid to let go, as the tears ran down my cheeks. I couldn't control the sobs that racked my body. They were all dead. Everyone was dead. James, Lily, Regulus, Peter... they were all dead. Everyone around me was dying and I could do nothing to stop it. Now, the man responsible for Peter's and the Potters' deaths was on the run.

"He killed them, Severus... they're all dead," I sobbed.

"I know, darling... I know," he soothed, gently rubbing the back of my head. I pulled away before looking up at him, his onyx eyes locking with mine.

"D-do you think he's going to come after me?"

"I won't let him," Severus hissed, gripping my arms tightly.

"But, that's why you came over here... isn't it? You and Minerva... you both came here because you were worried... right?"

"Yeah," Severus sighed. "When we saw the article in the Daily Prophet... we both got nervous... but I promise you, Y/n... I won't let him hurt you."

I heard footsteps coming into the living room and Severus pulled me closer as I held his robes in my fists, trying to hold him close. Minerva raised her wand as Severus's hand reached for his own wand, his other hand wrapped around my shaking frame. The footsteps grew closer and closer before Albus stepped into view.

"Damn it, Albus! You scared us! We thought it was Sirius Black!"

Severus's eyes fell on Albus as he let go of his wand, wrapping that hand around my shoulders, holding me against his chest as I listened to the sound of his heart.

"Minerva, would you get her some tea and something to eat? She doesn't look as if she's eaten yet today."

Minerva nodded before turning away and walking toward the kitchen.

"I'm not hungry, Albus."

Severus looked down at me, pushing a strand of hair out of my face, as he stroked my cheek with the pad of his thumb.

"Will you try for me, love?"

I buried my face in his chest but he instantly lifted my chin.

"Darling...?" he whispered as Minerva returned with a small cup of tea and a plate of toast, placing it in front of us. Severus carefully lifted the tea and pried my hands away from his robes, placing the cup in my hands. "Could you try some tea for me, darling?"

My hands shook and he wrapped his hands around mine, carefully steadying the teacup in my hands, as I brought it to my lips. His hand gently pushed my hair behind my ear as I sipped the warm tea.

"Good girl... I'm so proud of you," he soothed, before taking a piece of toast from the plate Minerva had brought.

"I'm not hungry, Severus."

"Just try, darling... I know you haven't eaten today."

"How could you possibly know that?"

"Because I saw your breakfast sitting on the table, untouched, love... Just take a few bites for me and I promise I'll leave it alone... It's just... I want you to take care of yourself," he soothed, rubbing his fingertips over my cheek. I nodded, taking the toast from him before nibbling, slowly. I felt my stomach rumble as I swallowed the toast and Severus chuckled before continuing to rub my cheek.

"Good job, darling."

His hand gently stroked my hair as I finished the toast, taking a few sips of tea once I finished. I felt my eyelids getting heavy as he rubbed circles into my skin.

"You should rest, love."

"No..." I gripped his arm tightly, too afraid to fall asleep.

"Hey, darling... look at me.... I'll still be here when you wake."

"You promise?"

"I promise, darling... Until Black is found, I'm not going anywhere. You're stuck with me, darling," he chuckled as he helped me lay down, gently covering my body with a soft blanket, enveloping me in warmth. I felt his fingers playing with my hair as I drifted into sleep.

"I'm not going anywhere," he whispered. These were the last words I heard as I drifted into a dreamless sleep, his fingers twirling strands of my hair.