The Affair {8}

“So you’ll talk to Blake today?”

                I nodded at Luka and he relaxed and handed me my breakfast, sitting down across from me. We ate in comfortable silence before going upstairs and getting ready for school.

                We got in my car and I started towards the school. I mentally sighed and turned the radio down so that I could talk to Luka.

                “Luka, I’ve been staying over your house for a few days. I need to go home,” I said.

                “Connor, I don’t mind when you stay over,” he said, looking a little panicked. “You don’t have to go back to your house! You can stay longer and-”

                I shook my head at him and he fell silent, looking defeated. I reached over and took his hand in mine, offering him a reassuring smile.

                “Hey, come on. I have to go home. My parents are going to think I got abducted by flying narwhals or something if they don’t see me soon,” I said. “It’s not like you’ll never see me again.”

                “Connor, I don’t like it when you stay at your house. I don’t like the way they treat you,” he said silently.

                “You act like they lock me in a cage and dip me in acid. Luka, I don’t mind staying at my own house. My parents are just quiet people. You know that,” I said, leaning over and kissing his cheek at a red light.

                “They don’t talk to you enough Connor. They need to talk to you more,” he said stubbornly.

                “They talk to me enough Luka. If I was home more…” I raised an eyebrow at him and he blushed and sighed.

                “Fine, fine. But you can come back to my house if you get lonely,” he said as I parked the car and shut it off.

                I leaned over and kissed him deeply before getting out of the car. Luka copied me and we held hands as we walked up to the school together.

                We entered the building and went down to the senior hallway. I watched as Luka exchanged his books before straightening up and turning to me.

                “Talk to Blake during lunch. Please,” he said.

                I wrapped an arm around him and pulled him close to me, kissing his forehead. “I will,” I said, giving him a weak smile. I didn’t want to talk to Blake. But I had to try to fix everything.

                The bell rang and we made our way to first period. When lunch time came around, I followed Luka to the cafeteria and sat down with him.

                “Where are Blake and Felix?” Luka asked nervously, staring at their empty seats.

                “We got here pretty early. I’m sure they’ll show up,” I said, scooting my chair closer to Luka’s and putting my arm around his waist.

                Sure enough, I looked up and saw the two of them entering the cafeteria together. They came over to our table and sat down, neither of them looking at me. I mentally groaned. Great, now Blake had Felix on his side.

                “Hi guys!” Luka said, looking relieved that they were there. “I haven’t seen either of you all day! I hope you’re having good days.” He nodded to himself.