The Affair {10}

I shut my locker and jumped in shock. “Luka!” I cried, slapping a hand over my chest as my heart slammed.

                “Sorry Connor. I didn’t mean to scare you,” Luka said with a deep frown.

                “It’s okay,” I said, pulling him into a hug. “So, what’s up? Did you need something? Do you want a ride home?”

                Luka shook his head. “No, I drove here this morning. I just…I want you to come to Blake’s house,” he said quietly, staring at his feet. “You guys have been best friends since preschool. I hate to see you guys fight.”

                “Luka, I’m sorry. But right now, I think it’s best if I just stay away from him. It’s complicated to explain. I know this upsets you, but seeing us fight would upset you more than us not hanging out for a little,” I explained.

                “Okay. But please call me if you need me. Even if you just want to hang out with me, or if you just get lonely and want to talk to someone,” he said anxiously.

                I chuckled and kissed him. “Luka, relax. I want you to have fun when you hang out with Blake and Felix,” I said, smiling softly at him. This was why I loved him so much. He always put me ahead of everything. He was so unselfish.

                “Okay,” he said with a defeated sigh. He turned to leave, hesitated, and turned back to me. He wrapped his arms around my neck and crashed his lips against mine, kissing me deeply and lovingly.

                I placed my hands on his hips and kissed him back. We broke away from each other and I smiled at him.

                “Go have fun,” I said, pecking his lips.

                “Bye Connor. Don’t forget to call me if you need anything,” he said, putting an emphasis on “anything”.

                I nodded at him and watched his disappear into the crowd of kids. I slung my backpack over my shoulder and started walking towards the doors to leave.

                “Hey Connor!”

                I sighed and turned, raising an eyebrow at Blake as he walked towards me. “What do you want Blake?” I asked as he stepped up to me.

                “What if I stole Luka from you?” he asked simply.

                I shoved him roughly and glared at him. “You wouldn’t. Luka wouldn’t do that to me. He loves me, and he would never leave me for you,” I snarled.

                “I’m sure he thought the same thing about you,” he said, smirking.

                “But that’s the thing Blake. I didn’t leave Luka for you. You were always second best to him. You were just the fun nights. He was everything else to me,” I said. I didn’t mean that, and it wasn’t true. But I wanted to hurt Blake. I wanted to see him cringe at my words. I was furious at him for hurting Luka to get to me.

                And I got the satisfaction of seeing him cringe. “You know, I was thinking to myself Connor. You could’ve ended it several different ways. But every single one of them would’ve put us in this spot. I guess I was too blinded by my feelings for you to realize how badly it was going to end. Or it could’ve been the fact that I had secretly convinced myself that you would pick me in the end,” he said, glaring at me.