Chapter 3

As I cried myself to sleep, my people were planning a rebellion. They had enough of my, as they say, "tyrant" ways. This wasn't the first, but they had Lancelot, my brother's friend and knight. I didn't want to fight, I didn't point. I didn't need more time for revenge, nor did I see a point in trying to hold on to a power which I lost a long time ago. I just wanted it to end

My last act of kindness was to let everyone who stood by me even if it was just for the power to leave. Only about 30 knights stayed, along with uncle Richard, Merlin, and Mary. I knew those 3 wouldn't leave so I asked them to wait until the end. Then to claim my body to bury. And so they left, waiting to complete my last request.

I was left alone in the darkness as my mind began to slip. The dreams started to come, I could already hear the voices. I instinctively grabbed the small dose of potion i had and shoved it in my mouth.

There was enough to make it all stop, just enough to balck out for a little while, but not enough for a blackout for hours like it usally would do.

Instead of waing up in a pool of blood like usual, I was just crying on the floor infront of the portraits of my parents and brother, holding onto the locket that I always wore around my neck. I usually hide it beneath my clothes, I believe only Mary, Merlin, and uncle know that I have it .

"Happy 30th Arhtur, I'm sorry I couldn't make it to your grave like always. Sometimes I wonder if you would be happy if you knew what happened these past 10 years. Who am i kidding you're probably lecturing my head off as soon as you saw me. I always wondered if things would have been different, if I died that day."

I smiled bitterly, "would you have handled it better in the end? Who knows maybe you would have just declared war on them. But then again you always did have a way with people. They would have followed you in your revenge in the end."

A tear steak down my cheeks. I stared at these portraits everyday when I went to visit their graves. I hated this day so much and then after Arthur it just was too hard to even try to be happy. After 20 years the tragedy of my life will finially end.

When I heard footsteps I turned towards the door. Soon his figure emerged from the darkness I said, "i should have known they would send you, lancelot"

Lancelot answered back, "hello to you too, your majesty." he took a deep breath as he asked, "why would you do all this, old friend? Why?"

I started to laugh, "wasn't clear from the beginning. Wasn't clear I wanted revenge. Those cowardly scum killed him, my brother, the last family I had left. They killed him for what, bragging rights?"

"But that doesn't mean you needed to kill, extermenant a whole kingdom."

"Wait? Did you think I regret anything?" i started to laugh, "that's the funniest thing i ever heard.. Those monsters got exactly what they deserved."

"The real monster is you, you annihalited an entire county, killed milllions. Just for what? Pity revenge? Do you think your brother would be happy with any of this? "

At that i snapped, my voice started to rise as I spoke, "Don't you dare use my brother in this knight." i spat disgustly, "you know nothing of pain, nor do you know anything about losing your whole family on the same day. Have you ever been powerless as those you love die right in front of you? "

Lancelot could only say in response, "i don't know you pain, but revenge won't bring him back. Don't you get it, revenge ruined his memory."

(Lancelot POV:)

As I drew closer to the monster that once was my friend. I could see his cheeks slowly hollowing, muscles that once held strong muscles now flat and thin, eyes that looked half dead, dressed in all black i couldn't help but remember the day of the funeral.

(flashback)

When I first heard the news, I froze. I remember thinking it couldn't be true, the prince couldn't be dead. He just couldn't. The prince was just so full of life, he was childish, but strong. Death didn't suit him.

It took us all by surpise, but Arthur was the one it affected most. At the funeral he looked half dead. Half way though he just broke down. He screamed a scream full of anguish. Tears flowed down his cheeks as he buried his brother.

That was the last time anyone saw him for the next few months. Before we knew it he was out for blood.

(end of flashback)

I was pulled out of my thoughts by a voice, "then i should let them get away with it? Get away with the murder of my brother?"

(end of Lancelot POV)

"Do you think he would have been happy with this?"

"Don't you know i already know that." I angrily spat out as I drew closer to the knight. "They killed him, they murdered your ki...oh wait i forget you don't even know the truth. You defined them without knowing. Maybe if we didn't lie back then. If we just told the truth then you wouldn't be against it. Maybe you would have even helped in their destruction."

"Wh..what truth?" Lancelot stammered.

"You call my brother a moneter, a tyrant. But can someone who's been dead, buried in the ground for 10 years be the monster. "

"Wh..what?" Lancelot stammered likea confused monkey.

I didn't try to answer, I just grabbed the sword leaning against the throne. Excalibur, my brother's pride and joy. He loved that sword so much that it caused me to break into a rare smile.

As I unsheathed the sword my started to replay his death, i could hear the voices yelling at me, you're useless, why aren't you dead they screamed. But I knew soon they would be gone as I plunged the sword deep within my chest.

As I crumpled to the floor I grabbed the locket around my neck as I stared at the portraits of my family. In the shadows I saw what looked like Arthur waving for me to come over, "Bro..th..er?" I said as I took my last breath.

(Lancelot POV)

Still shocked by the news of Arthur's death, I just watched as he plunged that sword into his chest.

"Bro..th..er?" he said before the light went out in those purple eyes.

Prince Al..no King Alexander was dead and all i could do was watch in horror.

I didn't even realize the tears that were now dripping down my cheeks as I stared at the lifeless body of the king.

In his hands was a silver locket, curious I carefully took it out of his still warm hands. Inside was a picture of the late king and queen, just before their deaths. The other protait was of Arthur. So it was all true he really did die. This was really Alex lying there. He was right. I would have helped, I would have destroyed them if I knew.

At that moment I could hear footsteps getting closer and closer. I looked over to find Lady Mary, Sir Merlin, and Duke Richard running over.

They rushed past me towards the king, kneeling, tears welling up in their eyes.

"It's all my fault"

"No, it's mine, I shouldn't have sai.."

"Both of you shut it", I heard Mary yell. "We all knew this was going to happen sooner or later, ever since Arthur's death"

Wondering, I asked, "What happened? What did you mean you knew would happen?"