Cali

Cali claws at the snow. She cried out in pain as her leg moves. She looks back and just sees blood. There is only blood. She grits her teeth and tries to find purchase once more in the freezing snow. She cries out once more, now pulling on her ribs.
She cries, but she keeps trying to escape. She promised she would be home for Christmas. She would help make the cookies for Santa. She promised this and she will do it.
"You aren't going to make it." A voice says. Cali looks around but she can't see anyone. Cali grits her teeth once more and tries to find purchase in the freezing water once more. The voice sighs. "Please stop. You will only cause yourself more pain." A pair of white, fuzzy boots appear in Cali's vision. She follows the boots up the owner and sees a beautiful Asian woman looking to her with sparkling silver eyes.
The woman crouches down until she is eye level with Cali. She brushes the injured woman's hair out of her eyes. "I'm sorry this happened to you."
Cali viciously swipes at the other woman, who takes the hit to her cheek. She doesn't even flinch from the pain.
"Go get help." Cali hisses to the watching woman.
The Asian woman sighs, "I can't."
Cali's anger flares, "Why can't you?"
The woman's silver eyes glimmer with tears, "This is where you're supposed to die."
Cali stares at the woman. She understands what she said but Cali doesn't want to believe it. She is supposed to die today? Here? In the freezing cold? Because she hit a patch of ice?
She opens her mouth and a heart wrenching sob comes out, "I don't wanna die." She looks at the young woman who stares back, tears now falling down her face. Cali takes a closer look and she notices that the woman's cheeks are not red from the cold wind. She isn't shivering.
And how did she get here?
"Who are you?" Cali asks.
The silver eyes glisten as she responds, "My name is Ming." She hesitates for a second before continuing, "And I am a guardian angel."
Cali tilts her head. She isn't religious. She doesn't believe in any higher power. So then why is this woman crouching here claiming to be one? Is she crazy?
Ming as if sensing the other woman's thoughts sighs. A gold light appears above her head and feathers sprout from her back. Cali's jaw drops as she stares at the woman and the golden halo above her head. She peers further and notes the long white wings that had sprouted from Ming's back. Ming stretches her hand out and a faint, warm light surrounds her skin as she brushes her hand against Cali's cheek. Warmth floods from her cheek to the tips of her toes. Cali leans into Ming's hand and sighs.
The injured woman peers at the angel, a questioning burning on her lips. Ming brings her other hand up and tucks the woman's hair behind her ear. "You can ask me anything." The angel's musical voice echoes around them. Cali's hand reaches for Ming and the angel takes it. A comfort spreads to Cali and she finally asks the question.
"Do I have to die here?"
Ming nods her head once.
"Will it be painful?"
Ming shakes her head.
"Why do I have to die here?"
Ming looks down, "Because this is where your life leads to. The decisions made lead to this moment."
A lump settles into Cali's throat. She clears her throat and then has to clear it again, "So, it's my fault?"
Ming thinks on it before shrugging her shoulders, "Could be? Accidents happen. There were decisions you could've made that would have avoided this road. There were decisions that would have put you on this road earlier. Some decisions were in your control, others were not." She sighs, "There is honestly no telling."
Cali processes that and she looks to the woman, "What about you? How did you do?" Ming sadly smiles, resting her hand over her heart.
"I lived in a small Chinese village. We had a missionary visit and I was interested in learning more about Christianity." Ming looks nostalgic as she thinks back on her roots. She has a small, cute smile on her face. Then it fades away as her eyes darken, "And then my village found out." Now, the angel is staring into the woods, seeing something Cali never could. "I was killed to restore the honor of my ancestors, my family, and my village." Ming blinks and a smile comes back upon her face. "I have a harsher story than most, but I wouldn't change anything. I would have still made all the decisions I did." Ming strokes the other woman's hair, offering the best comfort she could.
"How long ago did you die?" Cali asks.
"Hundreds of years ago." Ming says, a soft smile upon her face. Cali nods her head and then winces from the pain. Ming sees this and she silently runs her hand slightly over the other woman's body removing all her pain. Cali sighs in relief.
Ming continues to stroke the woman's hair as Cali slowly falls asleep. The injured woman tries to keep her eyes open but continuously fails. Her eyes drift close. Ming begins to sing a lullaby, tears falling down her face.
As the angel sings the last note, the woman stops breathing.
Ming brushes the woman's hair back one last time before getting up. She goes over to the wrecked car and pulls a binder from it. She reads the front:
To my precious child
Ming glances at Cali as she tucks the binder under her arm. "I will deliver this for you." A flash of gold light surrounds the area and the angel is gone. Blue and red lights start to flash and an ambulance rings out.