The Beginning.

I love the feeling of the sand between my toes as I walk down the shore of Santa Monica. The sun is slowly setting and shines brightly across the ocean. My sister, Alice who is only 2 years younger than me, skips by my side chatting about her boyfriend back home and about all the things she did this summer since we barely spent any time together. I let her chat on because I know how much she loves it. I watch as the waves crash on my ankles and bits of shells wash ashore.

"So what do you think?" Alice squeals.

"Uhh i'm sorry what?" I stutter.

"Ugh Lucy! We should get you a summer fling!" She squeals again and grabs my hand.

"How about no." I chuckle a little. "You know how I feel about dating young."

"Lucy, you are 16...how much older do you need to be?" She wines. She is so persistent that i find a boyfriend because she thinks i need one when in actuality i need to find myself.

"At least until i'm out of high school, because..." i got out before Alice cuts me off.

"Yea yea i know. You need to "find yourself" or whatever."

I just laugh at her as we make our way up to the Santa Monica Pier. I was on a trip with my family for the last week of summer. Most of the summer i was working at a camp so this time was dedicated to my family.

Her and i walk our bare feet through the sand and up on the boardwalk. We take our time to look at the shops and eat food at the stands. As we're walking down i hear this voice that sounds so charming and beautiful. Alice and I walk past all the other street performers and finally i found where the voice was coming from.

At the edge of the pier stands a statuesque and gorgeous guy. As he sings, he feels his music and caresses it. You can tell that's what he loves. I not only fell in love with his enticing appearance, but the way he sang. He sang as if no one was listening. He sang as if he truly loved his lyrics and truly meant them. That's what I loved most.

I felt my heart tighten as i laid my eyes on him and my breathing increased. Without seeing my face i can tell there was a genuine smile on it. He looks up and his eyes landed straight on me. Immediately, our eyes locked. He smiled as he sang his last lyric and strummed his last chord.

The crowd started to lessen as he took a drink of his water and took his guitar off. Soon, it felt like it was just him and I. He looked up at me and smiled again. This smile was classy and bewitching. Alice nudged me. I flinch because i totally forgot she was there.

"Go on, talk to him." Alice persisted.

I slowly walked my way over to this guy. He looked at me with a smirk on his face as I made my way over. I finally get there.

"Hey." He said beckoning me.

"Uh hi. Umm you're beautiful.....i mean your voice...uhh...oh my God. I'm gonna leave now." I stuttered out with embarrassment. I turned around to leave when i felt him grab my hand and turn me around.

"You're beautiful too." He said with that enchanting smile again. "I'm Rob, Rob Urban."

"I'm Lucille, or Lucy." I said. My cheeks felt like fire.

"Lucille...that's pretty, like you. I like it." He said with a wink.

I laughed a little but i couldn't stop smiling.

"So what brings you here? College? Job?" He asked.

"Oh no," I stop, "vacation with my family. I'm only 16, not ready for college just yet." I say with permanent smile that won't go away.

"C'mon Lucille we gotta go!" I hear Jackson, my older brother call out.

"But i am ready to get away from my family." I mumble.

"I feel you, ready to be independent huh?" He asks.

"Oh yes." I exaggerated.

He laughed with me. Alice came up to take a picture of us. As awkward as it was i let her do it. Rob handed me a card.

"Here's my card. It has my website where you can find my music. Listen to it whenever you feel the need to be away." He smiled at me one last time.

I turned to walk away. I looked back as my sister dragged me away. He was still staring. As soon as he was out of my eyesight, i deeply sighed.

"Looks like someone isn't gonna wait to date." Alice sing-songed.

"Oh hush. I probably won't even see him again. Plus he's 19." I shrugged sorta disappointed.

"How do you know that?" She asked suspiciously.

"It's on his card." I show her the card and she gets all squealy on me.

We skip down the shore to meet up with our family. As we left for home in Arizona i said goodbye to California and to Santa Monice. But most of all, to Rob Urban.