The Phone Call

I didn't plan on leaving the apartment today so i put on spandex shorts and tie dye shirt. Honestly i just wore the same thing i wore to bed, i just put of shorts underneath. I brush out my hair and put it up in a messy bun. Lastly  put on fluffy socks and I walked out. I see Rob sitting at the island with a newspaper and a cup of coffee.

"You like to know what's going on in the world too?" I ask as I pull up a stool to sit next to him.

"Well i don't own a TV so I have to get caught up somehow." He responds taking a sip of his coffee. He cringes at his coffee. "Man this coffee is shit."

I take a sip and I cringe too. I look at the old, metal french press. "Maybe you should get a new french press."

"I don't have the money right now. Plus if i'm gonna spend money on anything it should be groceries. We're out." He says nodding to the fridge.

"Hey, I got extra money. Let's go grocery shopping, since we really need it." I said going back to my room.

"Are you sure?" He asked following me.

"If i wasn't, i wouldn't have offered." I said turning around in my doorway. "Now if you'll excuse me i need to look presentable if i'm going out into the real world." i close my door.

I throw on loose white shorts, a black tank top, and a gray zip up hoodie. I throw on some moccasins and grab my bag. I walk out and i see Rob all dressed too. He was wearing a blue button up with the sleeves rolled up and jeans.

"Why are you all dressed up? Hmm?" I playfully nudge him and laugh. He rolls his eyes at me.

"So who's driving?" He asks going to grab his keys.

"I will!" I grab my keys out of my bag before he gets his.

"Well okay then." He laughs.

We head down the fire escape and to my car. We get and i start the car.

"So uhh, where's the nearest grocery store?" I ask.

"There's a Whole Foods just down the st-"

"Perfect!" I shout before letting Rob finish. I love Whole Foods so much.

I pull out of the parking area for the apartment and drive down the street. What do you know, it's literally right down the street. It only took us about 3 minutes to get there. I park my car and we head into the store.

I dance inside as the automatic doors slide open. I hum a stupid tune and I grab a cart. He jogs after me.

"Here, i wrote a list." I handed him the ripped notebook page.

"Coffee maker?" He raises his eyebrow at me.

"Your coffee taste like metal shit." I glare at him. I then laugh which he then proceeds to do also. "Seriously though, we need to drink better coffee....and buy better coffee."

"Fine." He laughs "but i choose the creamers."

"We don't even use creamers!" I say.

"That's the point!" He laughs

I fake groan and laugh. He nudges me as we walk down the produce section. I grab mostly organic fruit. Yes, it's more expensive but it is so worth it. We grab our favorites, which consisted of mango, pomegranates, bananas, apples, and so much more. I grab several vegetables, such as cucumbers, peppers, lettuce, etc. I continue to grab herbs.

"What do you need rosemary for?" Rob asked.

"I use herbs in a lot of my recipes, and for my smoothies." I say throwing rosemary, mint, basil, etc in the cart.

We continue down the aisles grabbing foods such as bread and cereals. I feel something hit the back of my head. I turn around rubbing the back of my head. I see Rob standing there looking "innocent" whistling while not making eye contact with me. When I grab the bag and give him that "are you kidding me" look he started to laugh. I threw the bag back at him. He ducks and walks up to me.

"You hate me don't you?" He asks with a wide smile as he hugs me from behind and rests his chin on my shoulder.

"When you do that I do." I glare at him but he makes such an adorable face so I start to laugh.

We head down to the appliance aisle. We're looking at different coffee makers.

"Are you really gonna buy me a new coffee maker?" He asked a little skeptical.

"Yup, and a blender." I say staring at a Keurig 2.0.

"Well then. If that's the case." He says stepping in front of me, "I don't need anything fancy. A simple coffee maker is fine."

"Fine, what would you like?" I say in defeat.

"Anything is fine. As long as it doesn't cost you a fortune." He raises his eyebrows at my bag. I honestly didn't mind but if that's what he wanted then fine.

I grab a simple coffeemaker that was only $20. I then go and look at blenders and pick out a decent one for around $100.

"Are you really going to spend that much on a blender?!" He freaks.

"It's a ninja blender first off, and it's a set, meaning it comes with stuff." I say in defense. I showed him the box and pointed to the list of things it come with. He stuck his tongue out at me and I did the same back. He smiled at my reaction and I just smirked at him. He grabbed my side and pulled me in close him. I gave him a funny look and he nodded forward. I slowly turned my head and there was a group of guys standing there sizing me up. They noticed Rob and walked away.

"What was that all about?" I asked seriously.

"Just a bunch of assholes." he said abruptly.

"I'm guessing you know them?" I look up at him.

"A little too well sadly." He stares ahead until they vanish from his eyesight.

"Uhh Rob?" i clear my throat looking down at his arm still around my waist.

"What? Oh uh yea, sorry." He removes it.

"It's fine." I blush and smile, hiding my face. I hear my phone ring so I grab it. This time instead of my mom calling it was my brother, Jackson. He was overseas with the Marines. Why would he be calling?

"Sorry i have to take this." I say to Rob.

"LULU!" Jackson screams into the phone.

"JACKY!" I scream back, "Hey why are you calling? I thought you were overseas."

"I'm home actually." He pauses

uh oh.

"And mom told me you ran away." He sounds disappointed. 

"Oh uh um about that." I stutter.

"Why did you run?" he asked benignly.

"Because mom didn't understand what I wanted." I defended myself.

"Lucy, you can't act like a misunderstood teen anymore. You're 20 years old. You should start acting like it." I scolded.

"You sound just like mom." i scoffed.

"I know I do and I hate it but she's right. I understand you want to 'find yourself' or whatever but you can't do that unless you grow up. Once you start acting like an adult, maybe, just maybe, you'll find yourself. I mean who knows, maybe it's right in front of you." He says.

I turn around and see Rob standing there choosing between a superman mug and a nice red mug. He lifts both up and shows me with a big smile. I smile at him.

"Yea, maybe he is."