Down in New Orleans

Exhausted, Tyler, nineteen, shut the door to his bedroom, wearing a waiter's uniform, the sun just finishing rising. He took the money that he had from the previous night and put it into his savings jar. "Well, Mr. Tyler, rough night for tips, but every little penny counts."

His eyes hit a photo of his father in his army uniform. He whispered loving, "Don't you worry, Daddy. We'll be there soon." He kissed his fingers and placed them on the picture.

He flopped onto his bed just in time for his alarm to go off. He kicked it with his foot and got back up, pulling out a different, yellow uniform from his closet. "Goodnight, Cal's...hello, Duke's."

-

-

Running out the door, he jumped onto a bus and rode into town.

In the southland,
There's a city
Way down on the river
Where the women
Are very pretty
And all the men deliver

A girl next to him worked up the courage to bat her eyes cutely at him, but by the time she had, Tyler had gotten off at his stop, leaving her to bat her eyes at a much taller woman, who growled at her threateningly.

Blocking Tyler's way was a huge band playing in the streets.

They got music;
It's always playin'
Start in the daytime, go all through the night

He tried to get through, but one of the men grabbed him and tried to dance with his arm linked in his. Tyler pulled away, rushing to his job without making eye-contact with anyone else.

When you hear that music playin' -
Hear what I'm sayin'?
- make you feel alright

Finally getting in, he got to work in the kitchen, dusting off the pastries.

Grab somebody, come on down
Grab a paintbrush, we're paintin' the town
There's some sweetness goin' 'round
Catch it down in New Orleans

He put the plate down in front of a grumpy-looking man. He took a bite, smiled, and saluted, Tyler doing the same.

-

We got magic, good and bad
Make you happy or make you real sad
Get everythin' you want, lose what you had
Down here in New Orleans

A man crept in the shadows, giving a bald man a drink. When he took it, he grew hair, making it easier to flirt with a young lady. But once it started to grow out of control, she screamed, slapped him with her bag, and ran away. He turned to a mirror and screamed at himself, seeing all the hair.