When We're Human

"Oh dear...oh!"

Dr. Facilier came up behind Laura, who was holding the jar they had kept the prince and princess in, looking down on her in disgust.

"You're awfully quiet..." she whimpered.

He noticed that the cage they were keeping Naveen and Y/n in was empty. "You let them go?"

"The poor devils were gasping. So I loosened the lid ever so slightly."

She tried to back away, but Dr. Facilier's shadow was able to trip her, then cackled.

"Now, how did I get tangled in all this voodoo nonsense?" she asked herself. Shaking her head, she said, "I can't go through with this!" She ripped off the talisman that was in necklace form, turning from a beautiful princess back into an old lady. "You wear this ghastly thing!" She threw it at him, making him have to find to catch it, violet eyes wide.

"Careful with that!" Once he caught it, he in her face threateningly. "Anything happens to this, I'm going to be...!" He stopped, realizing her horrified look, and backed away with a cool smile and relaxed expression. "Fun fact about voodoo, Lauri. Can't conjure a thing for myself. Besides, you and I both know the real power in this world ain't magic." He put his hands on her shoulders, grinning viciously. "It's money! Buckets of it!"

She considered this for a moment. "That's true..."

The doctor continued to appeal to her greedy nature. "Aren't you tired of livin' in margins while all those milk marie's in their husband's fancy cars don't give you so much as a sideways glance?"

Slowly, she admitted, "Yes...I am." Her face darkened at the thought of those people.

"All you have to do is marry Big Daddy's little prince and we'll be splittin' that juicy LaBouff fortune right down the middle...sixty/forty, like I said." He pointed to himself, then at Laura to confirm who got which percent.

"Hmm...yeah...but, uh...what about Naveen and Y/n?"

"Your little slip up will be a bump in the road, so long as we've got the princess' blood in this." He held up the talisman, filled with her blood, and they both chuckled darkly.

"Yes..."

-

"Voodoo?!" Tyler demanded in shock, looking at the two like they were crazy. "You mean to tell me all this happened because you were messin' with the Shadow Man?!"

"Hey, don't look at me. I didn't want anything to do with it. Look at princey boy one there." Y/n jerked her head at Naveen.

"He was very charismatic," Naveen shrugged.

He groaned. "It serves me right for wishin' on stars. The only way to get what you want in the world is through hard work."

Y/n was surprised to hear this from someone of Tyler's social status...or, at least, what she thought was his status.

"It's...refreshing to hear a prince talk that way," she said. "A very nice change from this guy."

"Huh? Oh, I'm not a prince. I'm a waiter."

"A waiter?!" Naveen yelled out before Y/n could react. "Well, no wonder the kiss did not work! You lied to us!"

"No, I...I never said I was a prince."

"You never said that you were a waiter! You...you were wearing a crown!"

Tyler's dark eyes narrowed. "It was a costume party. You spoiled little rich boy!"