A Little Deeper

Mama Odie resided in a boat. But not just any boat. It was on top of a tree, so one had to climb in order to get up. She had to carry the frogs up while Louis struggled, Ray casually flying after them.

"We're so glad we found you, Mama Odie," Tyler said once she placed them down. They jumped on top of an arm of one of the chairs. "Ray and Louis here have been tellin' us all about you. We traveled quite a long way. And you can't imagine what we've been through. And we -"

"JUJU!"

A snake popped up near Mama Odie. Chuckling, she grabbed him. "Come 'ere, you bad boy. Give us a little sugar, now." She kissed him, making everyone else gag, Louis the most dramatic of them all. "Y'all just love your mama, don't you?" Done with cuddling her snake, she turned to speak to Ray. "Good to see you again, Ray. How's your grandmama?"

"She's fine. Go' in a lil trouble fo' flashin' the neighbors again."

"Ooh, I like that gal's spunk!" She sat in her chair.

"Mama Odie, we don't wanna take up too much of your time -"

"Y'all want some candy?" She shoved a bowl of old, hard candy towards them. [SHE'S SUCH AN OLD LADY I LOVE HER ❤️]

"Not really."

"No, thank you."

"I just ate."

She fingered it. "Now, that's too bad. It's a special candy. Woulda turned y'all human." She tossed it into her mouth, crunching it loudly.

Their tune changed quickly.

"Wait! Don't! Please don't take it!"

"No! Please!"

"It's fine! I can just throw up whatever I ate!"

She let out a good-natured, old lady cackle. "I'm just messin' with y'all."

Tyler began, "How on Earth did you know that we wanted to turn back -", but was interrupted by Mama Odie passing out and snoring loudly.

Leaning towards her, Naveen tried to wake her. "Mama Odie?"

"JUJU!" She was up, startling the frogs. "Why didn't you tell me my gumbo was burnin'?!" [Like I said. Such💅An old💅Lady💅]

"Good lord, what's wrong with her?" Y/n asked to nobody in particular.

"Can't believe this. Gotta do everythin' 'round here." She stirred the gumbo in the pot.

"Mama Odie, if you -"

"Taste this!" She shoved the spoon into Tyler's mouth. "Well?"

He swallowed, then said honestly, "Hit it hard with a couple of shots of Tabasco, and it's the bees' knees. Now, can we -"

"JUJU!"

"Somebody help that poor snake..."

Up came Juju with the bottle of Tabasco. He shook it over a few times, then disappeared again. Mama Odie took a sip of it again and chuckled. "Whoo! That's got some za-ng to it! That's just what it needed. Now." She turned her full attention back to the frogs, earrings wobbling. "Y'all figure out what you need?"

Glancing at each other, Tyler spoke up. "It's just like you said, Mama Odie. We need to be human."