Chapter 6- A Horrible Truth

Me, beginning this chapter: Oh word is this the chapter I give Sophie a breakdown? Oh huh it is well angst time.

Also to be as non-spoilery as possible, the newest character to be introduced will be using both he/him and se/sym/syr/syrs/symself pronouns

Warnings: Censored swearing, breakdown

"Okay," Sophie began, sliding into her seat. "It's Fitz's day off, Biana's off doing her own thing, so it's just you and I today. Work starts in about half an hour, and we need a plan for later. We can't just leave Marella and Linh to do all the research for us."

"When's your day off, Foster?" Keefe asked, unhelpfully.

She rolled her eyes. "That is not the part that we should be focusing on."

"Well, what are we supposed to do? What the hell are humans supposed to know about sirens?"

"Oh!" she gasped, sliding back out of her chair. "I'll be right back!"

She ran up to her room and grabbed her laptop, then ran back and put it on the table. Once it was loaded, she began typing.

"Sirens have been in contact with humans, that's why we have myths about them," she said.

"You're going to read about random sh*t that humans made up about us?"

"Nope! We're going to read the "random sh*t" that humans have mentioned. You can tell me which stuff is right or wrong."

They groaned. "What the hell would they know that we wouldn't?"

She shrugged. "That's what we're trying to find out. Besides, they can inspire us."

They began reading through several articles, and like Keefe had expected, they mostly consisted of nonsense. (It felt so strange now, knowing what she did, just a few days ago, that same nonsense was what she'd believed). Every once in a while though, Sophie managed to find something that was actually accurate. The problem though, was that the information that was accurate was stuff that they already knew.

"Ugh, not the hunters again," Keefe muttered.

"What?"

They turned the screen towards her. It was a poorly designed website, but the contents were what stood out. A group known as the Neverseen were trying to recruit people to join their cause so they could capture a siren and prove to the world that sirens truly did exist.

"There are siren hunters?" she asked.

"Yeah, and they're not fun. They're not common, but they're really annoying. One of them almost got me once. Not sure if those people were the 'Neverseen' though, I didn't even realize they had names for themselves."

She read through the website, wondering if the group was going to be a threat or not. "Oh sh*t, the Neverseen is in this city!"

"We're gonna have to tell Marella and Linh about this. They're both careful people, but they should know anyway."

"So we're gonna go meet them today too?"

"They'll be out of the area for today. We'll see them tomorrow."

"Okay." She checked the time, and realized that their shift started in seven minutes. She bookmarked the page and then closed her laptop. "Well, we've got work to do, we'll do more research later."

"Hey Foster, you've refreshed yourself with water, right?"

"Crap! I forgot about that!" she yelled, already running upstairs. "If my parents ask, tell them I'll be back in time!"