Chapter 7- Find A Way

I've been waiting to get this chapter for so long. Not spoiling why but you'll know once you reach the end of the chapter...

Warnings: Discussion about suicide (super super vague, but might as well warn in case), brief mention of drowning (also not serious)

"Sophie, are you okay?" Edaline asked, once Sophie and Keefe arrived back at Havenfield Flowers. "Your sweater's wet, are you okay?"

Grady turned to Keefe. "Help Fitz with the counter. Eda and I will be with Sophie. We can ask you about what happened after."

Keefe nodded. "Okay."

Grady and Edaline each held Sophie's hands and brought her to their room. Edaline brought a towel and a spare change of clothes. Once she was changed, the three of them sat on the bed.

"Okay kiddo," he whispered, and that old nickname made things both better and worse. "Are you able to tell me what happened?"

Sophie's heart hurt with all the things she wanted to tell them. "I couldn't... I couldn't sleep, so I went outside and I just... I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be out for so long, I didn't mean to make you worry and—"

"Shh," Edaline said, rubbing her head. "We're not mad, okay? We just want you to know that you can tell us if something's bothering you. We don't want..."

Edaline's gaze met Grady, before they both looked towards the dresser. Sophie turned to see what they were looking at, and saw a picture of a blonde-haired woman with bright blue eyes and a cheerful smile.

I can't do this to them. I can't. If I tell them they'll be angry at Keefe, and they won't be able to do anything to stop my transformation. If I don't tell them anything though, I'll disappear, and it'll be just like Jolie.

I can't... I can't put them through that kind of pain again. I can't do this to them, it'll break them.

"Have you slept at all?"

Without thinking, Sophie shook her head, then froze. "Sorry, I just got... overwhelmed? Had a sensory overload."

"Was there something in particular that led up to it? Biana said that you haven't looked well since last night."

Sophie shook her head.

"Okay. You haven't slept at all, so get some sleep for now, and maybe you'll feel a little better afterwards, okay? We're here for you."

"Okay."

•~•~•~•~•~•

"Hey Sophie," a soft voice whispered, light enough for Sophie to know that she was dreaming. Fitz spoke gently, yes, but only in her dreams did he ever sound like this.

"This is the second time you've disappeared abruptly, the second time you returned with Keefe. I'm not mad at them, I'm just... I'm just a little envious of them, I guess. That they were the one to find you when you needed someone most. Both times you disappeared, you looked upset, and I didn't do enough to help you.

"I think... I think there's something wrong and you're not telling me. I won't force you to say anything, I'll wait until you can tell me. I love you, Sophie, and I'll always be there for you."

There was a feather-light touch against her forehead, and that dream-like haze she was in was disrupted by her own heartbeat.

Sophie opened her eyes to an empty room. Those words, that soothing kiss to her forehead, it was all a dream. When she sat up and turned to her nightstand and saw blue violets there.

"I'll always be there."

It was only Fitz who gifted her flowers, fully aware of their meaning. It was Fitz who spoke those words to her.