Chapter 1: Adapting

Location: Unknown

Date: Nov. 13 2021

Groaning was heard from an alleyway. It was dark and the light of a sign that was at the entrance of the alleyway was the only light. Sounds of cat hissing and water dripping were heard. A person was laying down in the alleyway. Brown hair and a peach looking streak in their hair. Their clothes were worn and some of it even torn. It was just a dark brown robe with light brown streaks. Glasses were also set beside this person. They groaned and stood up. They looked around confused wondering where they were. Their eyes adjusted to the light and heard chattering of people. They felt different, so they looked down at their hands realizing it's not the round hands they're used to. They conclude that they are in another world. As ridiculous as it was, it was true, and someone appeared in front of them. It was what seemed to be a little girl. They were wearing a pink dress with a white jacket. Their hair was brown and tied in a ponytail.

"Are you ok Mr?" The little girl asked.

"I am fine." The older replied.

The little girl huffed.

"You don't seem to be! Why are you here?" They asked.

"That is none of your business, where is your family?" The older replied.

"Mommy is coming soon! But I want to help." The little explained.

"What is your name?"

"Espresso."

"Funny name!"

"You can call me Esper then."

Espresso didn't know why he was talking to a child, nonetheless receiving aid from them.

"My name is Aria!" They exclaimed.

"How old are you?" Espresso asked.

"I am 10!"

"Gender?"

"Female"

"How about you?"

"Male."

The sound of a female voice shouting the name Aria was now heard. The loud chattering of people drowned it a bit. Aria looked at Espresso, he wondered what this child would do with him.

"Mommy can help you come on." Aria said.

Espresso followed her. He didn't know a lot about this world so he needed as much help as he could get. In this world he looked about 16, back in the other world he was at least 20. That's when Espresso was put to a hold on his thoughts. A person, a woman, stood in front of him. Long brown hair and blue eyes. They wore a dress and looked at Espresso and Aria.

"Mommy! This person needs help." Aria exclaimed.

"Hm? Are you alright sir?" The supposed mother asked.

"I am, but very lost, confused and homeless though." Espresso replied.

The mother's eyes now turned to worry, probably pitying him knowing that he looks 16.

"Oh dear! You can stay with us for a while." The mother said.

Aria just looked happy. They only knew Espresso for a while and yet already offered so much. This kindness wasn't rare in his old world but he didn't know it'd be the same here. Espresso happily accepted it. They walked down the streets through the bustling city hearing the sounds of cars and chattering.

"What's your name?" The mother asked.

"Esper." Espresso replied.

The reaction from the child was something he did not want to repeat. He felt silly and kind of embarrassed.