10.

I was used to getting yelled at and scolded by my mom. Steve, it was inevitable. He would come to the apartment just to yell at me because something happened at school that was somehow my fault in his eyes. Sometimes he would be embarrassed to tell me how much I don't care to be around him, which is true, but he would repeatedly tell me I needed to brighten up in public.

Tonight, my scolding was because of Peter Parker. Because he was running alongside Captain Stacy and was beaten by the Spiderman himself right after he caught a glimpse of his face. That alone made me was to throw up because I knew he'd never be able to hold onto Peter's secret.

"No more Peter Parker!" Steve scolded from the front of the cop car.

"You're not my father. You don't have a right to tell me that." I huffed, folding my arms like a child.

"He's a bad kid, Makayla." He muttered, loud enough for me to hear him.

"He saved the city you moron!" I shouted, waving around to crowds of people who were safe tonight.

"Give me your phone." He slammed the car brakes and reached his hand through the bars of the cop car.

The bars alone made me feel small and angry. It made me feel trapped in a suffocating area with a man who I deeply disliked. As if I was wrong and cruel to him and he was punishing me for it by sending me off to prison. I mine as well be because of the many times he made my home feel like a prison.

"You are not my father." I repeated. "Quit acting like it! You are not my step father, you are not my friend, for all I care, you're not my mother's boyfriend. You are not a trustworthy, reliable person, and you most certainly will stop acting like you can tell me everything you want me to think because you think I'm some kid who has a tiny brain."

Steve was silent. He kept his mouth shut, pulling his hand away from me. "We're having a talk with your mother you we get home."

"It's not your home." I glared, focusing back on the street.

We did not in fact have a conversation when I got home. I stormed out of the car and ran down the streets of Queens until I reached the townhouses Peter lived in.

I knocked on the door that was brand new. I waited on the steps, the door opening revealing his Aunt May. "Oh, sweetheart!" She smiled, welcoming me into their place.

"Hi, Mrs. Parker." I greeted. "Is Peter here?"

At the mention of his name, Peter appeared at the bottom of their stairs so silent I thought he was possibly a ghost after tonight. He was dressed in a band tee and a pair of grey sweatpants, almost causing me to go weak.

"M.J." He breathed, pulling me into a tight hug.

His Aunt May let us be after announcing she'd make us Mac and Cheese which was apparently one of Peter's favorite foods. He took my hand and had me follow him upstairs to his room.

"I need to tell you something." Peter sat me down on the bed.

"Okay, what is it?" I examined his wounds on his face that seemed to be clean already. "Are you okay?"

"You can say that." His head fell to his leg.

"Oh my god!" I gasped. I didn't need to see it to know what had happened.

"I'm fine. I took care of it. Please don't make it a big deal because I don't want to talk about that right now. I don't need Aunt May to worry anymore than she's been." He shushed me. I let him carry on. "I ran into Steve today."

"I'll take care of it. I won't let him say anything, I promise." I wish I did stay longer in order to get Steve to shut up, but I needed to leave.

"No, no. That's not it." He waved off. "He was there after everything, and... he saw me. They caught me, and they saw my face. Of course Captain Stacy and Mr. Miller were there to recognize me, but..." he sighed, rubbing his tired eyes.

I pulled him close to me, let him rest his forehead on my shoulder as I rubbed his back. "Did he say something to you?"

"He told me to stay away from you." He admitted, not lifting his face.

My body went tense, my heart dropping to my feet. "You don't have to listen to him."

"Your mom thinks it's best for you, too." He whispered. "She was there trying to find you."

"They don't know what they're talking about. It's not their choice. I chose to help and I chose you." I stated. I wasn't going to let him slip from me because some idiot told him so.

"You don't get it." His lips quivered, tears in his eyes. "It's dangerous. I cant lose you." He sniffed, wiping his eyes. "I can't."

"Shh." It was my turn to shush him, pulling him closer.

"I'm going to take a shower." He mumbled, standing up to grab new clothes. "Here." He tossed me a pair of his clean clothes. "I'll be back."

After he shut the door I put on his sweatpants that were too big and an oversized t-shirt. I was forced to tie and roll up the sweats and sit in bed waiting for him to come out.

I was about to fall asleep when a knock at the door alerted me awake. His Aunt May stepped in holding two bowls of Mac and Cheese for us.

"Thank you." I smiled, taking both.

"You know, I was wondering when you'd be back." She admitted. "I missed Peter's laughter when you two would be sitting downstairs working on the project. I'm glad you two are close again."

"Me too. Peter's a wonderful person." I said with honesty.

"Enjoy." She motioned to the bowls.

Peter came out minutes later with fresh clothes on and wet hair. I handed him his bowl that he took a few bites out of. He laid down on the bed, his arms wrapped around my waist until I was finished with my food. Neither of us were very hungry, but I didn't want to be rude.

He was exhausted and his body relaxed after being tense for so long. He wrapped his arms around me and kissed the top of my head. "My little rockstar." He whispered, making me smile against his chest.

The best promises are the ones you can't keep.