11.

Graduation day was always a big day. 8th grade graduation was nice, but it was high school graduation that really mattered. And sitting here watching as people walked across stage was upsetting to say the least. I disliked more than half of these people, but it didn't mean I wouldn't miss their sarcastic comments or whatever they had to keep them going.

I scanned the area for any sign of my boyfriend. He was supposed to be here when this started, but instead he promised he'd be here in time to get his diploma. Now that this was dangerously close to starting and his seat was still vacant, I was losing hope. I pulled out my phone, annoyed.

"Hey, sorry I'm running late. I got stuck in traffic."

"It started already." I anxiously bounced my leg up and down, feeling sorry for interrupting the principle talking about how great of a class we were. "Where are you?"

"Third in Broadway, fourth in Broadway. Listen, I'll be there. Five minutes, ten tops."

I knew he was lying the moment I heard the sirens blaring in the background. "Are those sirens?"

"No." He denied, a little too quickly.

The principle welcomed Gwen Stacy to the stage to announce her speech. Serena was clapping loudly behind me, for she has met her new best friend. I groaned at Peter's silence.

"Just hurry." I hung up the phone, giving into Gwen's beautiful speech.

The lines were now getting closer to the end. My name was called, so I smiled beautifully, walked up the stage in my blue gown, and shook the hands of Gwen Stacy, the principle, and the vice principle.

I was scared, but excited to make my new life. I got accepted to multiple colleges and committed to one not from from Queens. I wanted to become a forensic scientist. Someone who works in both the science and criminal world.

I sat back down in my seat, frowning at my mom who was busy having a conversation with Steve. But I spotted Peter's Aunt May who was clapping loudly for me. I smiled and waved back.

A few more rows were called down to Peter's row, and to no surprise, he was still missing from his seat. I rolled my eyes, knowing he was caught up in his Spiderman duties.

"Peter Parker." The principle called. "Peter Parker?"

Peter swooped in from the back of the stage with his gown and hat on. He shook their hands, gave the principle a high five, lastly finishing the show by hopping down the stairs.

Finally the graduation ended and we were free to go. Everyone went straight for their families, including Peter who met up with his aunt. I hugged my mom and thanked Steve for congratulating me even if it wasn't exactly sincere.

I put on a fake smile, having conversations with multiple people who were in my classes. Serena hugged me tightly, promised we'd meet up, then ran to Robby who was waiting for her by her parents.

"Makayla!"

I spun around, seeing Peter jogging my way. His aunt was following close behind, snatching her camera from her purse to take a picture. "Say cheese!"

"Cheeeese." I smiled.

Peter put his arm around my waist and smiled enthusiastically (not), for his aunt. She hugged me tightly, told me congratulations, then gave Peter and I some space to talk.

"Hey." He took my hands. "Congratulations."

"You too." I smiled, pulling him down for a kiss he gladly reciprocated and enjoyed. "I have to go. I'm meeting Serena and Robby for dinner, if you'd like to join. I texted you about it, but I guess you were too busy with machine guns."

I held up my phone, showing the recent crime. He snatched my phone away to hide the screen. "Okay, okay."

I shoved my phone back into my pocket. "Come on." I took his hands, pulling him closer to Serena who was calling me over. "Come on."

He followed me, letting me pull him along to my friends. We picked out a local restaurant that was fancy just like Serena liked. So Peter pulled on his leather jacket and laughed along to Serena's somewhat funny jokes.

I sat down beside him at the four table booth. She talked about a bunch of memories about the school and pointed out the many times Peter had taken their photos for the debate club and other popular news papers.

"His photos are great." I agreed, tugging lightly at Peter's arm.

Serena got busy with something Robby got her interested in. I stopped listening to them, and instead switched my focus on Peter who was acting a bit strange and quiet.

"Everything okay?" I whispered.

He nodded. "Fine. Yeah, I'm fine."

"Penny for your thoughts?"

"I don't have a penny." He joked, rubbing his forehead.

"Wanna go back to my house?"

He shook his head. "No. I'm okay." The corners of his lips formed into a smile.

So the rest of us continued eating and joking around about the school year. The day Sabrina had her hair cut by her friend Sophia and it was so bad that she had to cut it down to her chin. She was called Dora for the rest of the school year.

"Remember when your dream was to live in a house made of chocolate?" Serena recalled. "She drew a photo of a house for her eighth birthday and promised she'd live in it one day."

I laughed, rolling my eyes at my terrible drawing. My smile faded to nothing seeing the way Peter's smile was non-existent. His face was full of worry and concern, his eyebrows knitted together.

"Peter?" I asked. "Peter?" I snapped him out of his trance. "Come on."

He didn't protest this time. "Okay." He muttered.

"We have to go. I had a fun night. I'll talk to you later." I promised my friend. I set down enough money to cover both Peter and I before standing from the booth. He grabbed his jacket, slung it over his shoulder, waved a quick goodbye, and stepped out of the door.

I waited until I got into the car to ask what was wrong. He still didn't respond. He only kept his head low. "You can't do this. Please, let me know what's going on."

"I can't do this right now." He blurted, facing straight forward.

"Do what? Talk?"

He sighed, scratching his nose nervously. "I made a promise."

"A promise to a man who isn't related to me. A promise to a man who I despise and a man who acts like my father when he isn't even married to my mother."

I couldn't believe he was still on this. We were fine for weeks, even confirmed our relationship and made it official. He was so proud and happy when he introduced me as his girlfriend. Now he's acting irrational and different.

"Your mom." He pointed out. "I can't do it to her."

I scoffed. "So what does this mean? For us?"

I didn't not want to listen to him or at least think about what he was told or going through. But I gave him the okay and that's the only thing that mattered. I didn't care if my mom didn't like him, and above it all I didn't care if Steve didn't like him because he didn't even like me.

"Look, why don't you clear your head. Okay? Don't think about my mom. Don't think about her boyfriend. Don't overthink this." I took his hand, kissing it gently as a man would to do a women. "I love you. But if you don't feel comfortable, then let me know. Okay?"

He nodded, taking his hand from mine. "I love you too."