08

Carlisle couldn't sleep through the pain. It seemed his body didn't let him pass out either. He was stuck in a state of constant suffering. It lasted eight hours, him in bed with a cold sweat, waiting for death or sleep. Whichever came first.

"Here, love." A voice called out through threshold of his room.

His hooded eyes lazily moved to meet Rebekah's apprehensive form. She lifted a IV bag, tapping at it lightly with the other hand.

"Since nothing else seems to be working. I stole some of the good stuff. There's more where this came from." She smiled lightly.

The other witch attempted to return the gesture, but it looked more akin to a grimace.

Rebekah swiftly moved to sit at the edge of his bed, making quick work of pulling his arm towards her. It took a few pricks, but she finally got a vein, holding the bag up as they both watched the clear liquid travel down the tube.

"Hopefully this works." She muttered, as Carlisle's eyes closed groggily.

-

Carlisle inhaled sharply. The pain was gone. He could breath again.

He felt the prickling of autumn leaves dig into his skin and the cold and unforgiving earth beneath him.

The witch shot up, eyeing his surroundings. There was a small cottage, two women just entering it. Their clothes looked a little outdated. Weird.

And there was...

"Klaus?" He muttered, moving to stand at his feet.

The hybrid turned around, eyebrows furrowing.

"Hm, how did you get here?" A woman muttered from further away.

"What the hell?" Carlisle voiced, walking toward the two. He crossed his arms over his chest as he realized what he was wearing, a simple pair of sweatpants alongside nothing else. "Where am I?"

"A dreamscape of my own design." The woman explained, tilting her head. She was silent for a moment, calculating.

"This is your soulmate." She deduced.

Klaus immediately stiffened, reflexively standing a step closer to Carlisle.

"There's no need for that." She waved her hand, before moving a little closer to the two.

"I had thought Esther might attempt that spell." She mused, with a small smile, eyeing the witch. "You must be asleep. That's the only way to explain your being here."

Klaus turned to look at his soulmate, staring at him expectantly, as if asking him to explain.

"Yeah, if the clothes didn't already explain it. Rebekah got me some morphine." He muttered, rubbing gentle circles into his chest with his fist. He found that it still ached, though the pain was minuscule in comparison to what it was prior.

Klaus' expression betrayed little, but Carlisle thought the hybrid looked a little apologetic.

The woman, who Carlisle now knew was Dahlia, leaned down to pick up a dead crow from where she stood.

"Your daughter will need my guidance." She eyed the animal before looking toward the two. "Just as Freya did."

"I think I'll find someone less hostile to teach her." Klaus spoke up before shrugging. "Shouldn't be difficult. Practically anyone will fit that criteria."

"Will you be interviewing tutors while you lie desiccated?" She inquired, gently placing the bird down. "How long do you think before Elijah and Rebekah release you? How old will Hope be?" She turned around, beginning to walk away.

Klaus looked to Carlisle before following suit with long strides. The shorter of the two struggled to keep up.

"After twice failing to create a family of your own, now you wish to commandeer mine? Not gonna happen, sweetheart." He smirked maliciously.

"Family?" Dahlia flipped around to look at him. "Family only ever brought me pain." She turned to eye a large dream catcher hanging at the tree beside her. "I want power. I am owed Hope's... and without it, I will slumber again within the year." She moved to look at him again.

"Freya turned on me because I denied her a basic need: The love of a parent. That is why I need you, Niklaus... to remain her father." She murmured in explanation.

Klaus eyed her quietly, moving to step closer.

"Try to imagine this," She began. "You will get to raise your daughter and I will channel the magic that has been promised to me, and in so doing, I would help Hope hone her craft that you couldn't possibly comprehend. With us by your side, no one would ever test you again." She faced him, eyes boring into his own.

"Or... you could lie there and pray that Elijah releases you before Hope learns to call Jackson "daddy."'

-

A nudging at his shoulder caused him to awaken, eyes hardly opening. It didn't feel like he'd slept at all, the dreamscape causing his mind to gain no rest.

"I've brought you some food. Thought it best if you ate something." Rebekah murmured softly.

"Should've let me sleep." Carlisle murmured quickly, leaning up as his breath began to quicken.

"Hey, not so fast. You're hurting." Her gentle hand pushed him to lie back down. "What's got you so riled?"

"I don't know if he took the deal." Carlisle murmured, pulling her hand away from him. He looked to the needle still in his forearm, debating whether or not to rip it out.

"Who? What deal?"

Carlisle furrowed his brows, feeling the ache begin to dull. The pain slowly went away before it was no more. He still felt tired, as if he were about to pass out.

"Shit."

"What is it? Talk to me." She stressed, placing her hand at his shoulder again.

"Goddamn it," He cursed as he shoved himself into a sitting position. "We gotta tell Elijah."

"No, listen to me. What's happened?"

"Dahlia is making a deal with Klaus. I think he's going to accept. They're going to come after all of you." He murmured quickly, voice tired.

"Okay, alright, shh" She hushed him, grabbing at his shoulders. "You need to sleep. You won't be any help in this state."

"What, no, I can..." His lids grew heavy, recognizing the sleeping spell she whispered under her breath. "Wait, Rebek—"

He didn't remember much else.