03

-

-

Carlisle convinced himself to get out of bed and drive to the Salvatore boarding house to see Stefan. It was a idiotic idea which was made while he had a considerably high fever.

Now there he was, keeping a hand on the wall of the hallway to keep himself from falling over as he walked towards the living room. He made that mistake while going down the stairs in his apartment as he ended up getting a fairly large scratch at his hairline.

"Hey, Stef!" The witch called out before wincing. His voice had gotten more raw if that was even possible at this point.

He heard someone mumble a curse before he heard Elena shout. "Come on in, Carlisle!"

Carlisle stumbled through the doorway before his eyes landed on Damon, Stefan, Elena, Elijah, and lastly a blond man he did not recognize beside a woman who seemed unrelated to them, having both dark hair and skin.

He narrowed his eyes at the two strangers before he took a step back in both realization and fear. The fear was evident on his face as was the scowl on the hybrid's. The witch could immediately feel his fever cool down and he was sure that everyone in the room had witnessed the color return to his face.

"What is the meaning of this 'Lijah? You drag me down to this godforsaken town for some human? I already despise this lot." Klaus gestured lazily to the Salvatore brothers along with Elena.

"He's a witch. He's also your soulmate." Damon blatantly blurted out with a smirk.

Klaus contemplated something to say back.
"He's not." The hybrid denied.

"Does lying to yourself about something make it real for you?" Damon's comment was dripping in sarcasm.

Klaus opened his mouth to say something but Carlisle surprised himself by speaking up.

"Shut up, Damon." Carlisle spoke without moving his gaze from Klaus, his eyes still blatanly showing his unease.

Klaus' attention was brought back to the witch at that, his eyes narrowing.
"He isn't. I don't feel anything. Aren't I supposed to feel something, brother?"

The hybrid turned to Elijah with an expectant gaze, his hands lifting up into the air before dropping themselves back down.

"Not necessarily. Finn never told us of how you know, whether it be a feeling at sight or otherwise." Elijah spoke up.

"Please enlighten me on how I know this is my soulmate, then." Klaus was clearly growing more irritated by the second.

"He had Carlisle perform a spell to find your soulmate. He kept it a secret, not wanting to meet you. He became sick soon afterwards since he knew who you were and deliberately stayed away from you." Elena explained.

Klaus shot an irritated look Elena's way before speaking up.
"How do we know he isn't lying?" The hybrid questioned, clearly grasping at straws as he gestured to the witch.

"I'm the soulmate to a killer hybrid, why would I lie about that?" Carlisle countered with narrowed eyes.

Klaus took a moment before he walked up to Carlisle, stopping at a close distance. The hybrid looked over the witch's features with a narrowed gaze before he turned to leave the room.

"Where are you going, Niklaus? If you're leaving for New Orleans, you know he's coming with." Elijah spoke up.

"Do what you want, 'Lijah. If you like him so much, keep him." Klaus was gone within a blink as Elijah hung his head with a sigh.

Rebekah eyed her brother along with the witch before stalking up towards Carlisle.
"Don't hurt him." Elena unhelpfully pleaded.

"Tell me, why would I hurt my brother's soulmate?" Rebekah glared before addressing Carlisle.
"I've always longed to meet my soulmate." She thought for a moment.

"My brother's an ass but he'll come to fully understand how important this is to him."
She smiled, placing a reassuring hand on Carlisle's upper arm.

"To us. Welcome to the family, Carlisle."

Carlisle didn't know how to react. He had several emotions running through him. Anxiety, hopefulness, fear, and the constant idea in his mind that his hybrid related death was imminent. He decided to give a timid smile.

Rebekah took that as a good sign, waving goodbye to the residents of the Salvatore boarding house before nodding to Elijah.

-

"What more did I expect from you, 'Lijah?" Klaus narrowed his eyes at his siblings from the balcony of the quarter, Hayley and Jackson on the other corner of the balcony speaking quietly. The two wolves turned their heads at the commotion.

"I was the one who wanted to bring him here, Nik. You kill everyone you dislike. Maybe Carlisle can help keep you out of trouble." Rebekah smirked.

Klaus only glared before stalking off to his bedroom. Hayley hesitantly placed her hand on the railing, peering over while her newlywed soon followed after.

"Who's that?" She questioned.

"This is Klaus' soulmate. It's a long story that I don't want to get into." Rebekah waved her hand in the air in dismissal.

"I'll show you to your room if you'd like, Carlisle. You haven't said a word since we've arrived, though I know this is all fairly sudden." The female witch gave a warm smile.

"Yeah, this just isn't what I thought my life would be."

"Where did you see yourself, then?"

"Dead. Probably."

Rebekah's lips upturned slightly before she nodded her head towards the staircase, leading the witch towards his room.

"Fortunately, you won't be forced to share a room with Nik." The blonde joked though Carlisle didn't laugh.

Rebekah nodded to her right as she opened the door to his room.
"Klaus' room is just down there, and my room is a door down from his. I'd suggest you holler at me rather than him if you need anything."

Carlisle nodded his head, stepping into his room before Rebekah parted with a "I'll leave you to it." She left the door ajar, which the witch peeked through with both unease and curiosity. He then turned around to face his room in full view.

It was rather a bland room. The color palette was full of dark blues, blacks, and browns. A little amount of light was given through the rather small windows but Carlisle preferred that. There was a sparse amount of decorations but there was a bookcase which held Carlisle's interest. He assumed Rebekah would drag him into shopping as he didn't bring anything with him.

It baffled the witch at just how well he had taken his situation. Though he guessed people handled shock in a variety ways.

He decidedly kicked his shoes and socks off at the edge of his bed, not bothering to close the door as he slipped his shirt off and climbed into the surprisingly comfortable bed.

It had been a tiring day to say the least.