Chapter 4

Leighton never considered herself to be a messy or desperate person. She'd always held her head up high, never let anyone see her cry, and didn't let people under her skin. Yet, the past few months there had been an obvious change in who she was. For the most part, she still held herself high and proud, but she'd let more people in to see the real her, and had even grown used to not only allowing herself to feel her emotions, but also to talk about them with others.

She was still a proud person, and didn't consider herself to be a messy or desperate person.

Yet, here she was, a quarter till 10PM, completely drunk off her ass and walking down the street, still nursing the bottle she'd managed to get from the Theta party. It was cold and Leighton was beyond tired, even the sidewalk seemed like a good place to sit down for a moment, but she was on a mission.

She'd been at a party with the other girls, all having an amazing time when Corey tried asking her on another date. She swiftly declined his request which led to them getting into an argument about her 'playing with his feelings.' The two went back and forth until Kimberly and Bela showed up, pulling away the fuming blonde before she said something sober-Leighton would regret.

They tried to talk to her, giving her water, offering to all head home and watch a movie instead, but Leighton declined, telling them she was going to get some fresh air and would be back. Which, she knew was a lie, but just didn't want to feel babysat all night. At least not by them. There was only one person she wanted to talk to, or at very least see.

The Women's Center was in sight and Leighton could see the blur of people cleaning up through the window, as some cars started driving off. She knew it technically closed in about 15 minutes, and they probably just got out of a meeting, but hey? Safe space, right?

Perfect space to just say everything she needed to say to Alicia, to just get it off her chest and then walk out without another word. That way she doesn't have to deal with the possibility of rejection. It was a fool proof plan in her drunken state.

Leighton repeated the speech in her mind as she walked towards the door. Walked up the stairs. Opened the door. She finally walked in, and of course there was Alicia, hanging something on the bulletin board. Leightons speech flew out the window.

Tova and Ginger were there too, putting up chairs, but stopping when they saw who entered the building.

"Leighton, hey!" Tova grinned, confusion obvious on their face as they approached the blonde. Alicia started turning around and Leighton quickly diverted her eyes to Tova, her chest suddenly tight, regret hitting her like a violent wave.

"Hey," Was all Leighton managed to say, looking like a deer in headlights as her hand gripped tighter onto the bottle in her hand.

"You okay? Wanna have a seat?" Tova asked, if the bottle in Leightons hand hadn't made it obvious she was drunk, her lack of comprehension may have.

"We still have your chair," Ginger added in sweetly, gesturing towards it. Leighton stared for a moment, forcing herself to not look at Alicia before nodding and making her way to sit down. She kept her eyes on the floor, taking shaky deep breaths to calm herself as Tova instructed Ginger to get some water.

"What brings you here?" Tova asked, approaching slowly before sitting down as well.

Leighton stared at her hands, rolling the bottle around before replying, her voice wavering, "I was at this party. I got into a fight with this guy, I guess."

"What happened?" Leighton's head snapped up as Alicia spoke almost frantically, still keeping her distance as she stood by the wall. The two stared at each other for a moment, Leighton wanting to cry from just looking into Alicia's worried eyes.